• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adlerís Workbook?

Share/Bookmark

Adlerís Workbook?

I didnít want to junk up a thread where people were discussing Adlerís book and CDs about orchestration in response to a question about writting for strings with this question.

Have any of you who recommend Adlerís book used the workbook? If not, why not? If so, do you recommend it?

On Amazon there are 3 reviews Ė one loved it, one thought it was a mixed bag and one hated it. After spending a fortune on the book and CD (ordered, havenít received it yet) I was wondering if I should spend a little more for the workbook.

Opinions?

Re: Adlerís Workbook?

Haven\'t used the workbook, but from I\'ve read about it I don\'t know how much use it would actually be to you.

It\'s more for those who don\'t have the compositional tools we have -- with a notational program and/or sequencer I\'m just not too keen on \"traditional\" workbook approaches. But that\'s just me.

However, with the book and CD coming you\'ll have LOTS to keep you busy. If after you\'ve read through (and understood!) it all, you can always buy more later (I\'m on my fourth reading and I\'m still just beginning to learn some things...)

No, I haven\'t used the workbook, and from what I understand most people nowadays have found it useless. It is more for a lab type class in college. With the included Overture and GPO you should be able to run through reproducing the included book scores without much trouble and you have the CD\'s to compare them too. I do however highly recommend Adler, but it necessary to know a little music theory before opening it due to the fact that this is assumed knowledge.

Thanks. I didnít think I needed it (which is why I didnít buy it) but still wondered. Youíve set my mind to rest.

Go Back to forum