• Register
  • Help

Topic: Halion and Advanced Orchestra in Cubase VST

Halion and Advanced Orchestra in Cubase VST

Hi, I\'m new to this forum and wanted to say \'hello\'. I\'m a relative beginner at using samples and samplers and hoping to learn from all you more experienced talents.

Does anyone use Peter Siedlacek\'s Advanced Orchestra Extended Edition with Halion and Cubase VST (on PC)? Sample set is great but I\'m keen to learn how to improve the simulations of real orchestral instruments (e.g. sequencing a realistic performance).

Re: Halion and Advanced Orchestra in Cubase VST

Hi and welcome to the forum. I\'ve been using Advanced Orchestra (the original Giga-Version, though) with Halion (1 and 2) and Cubase (VST and SX) for quite a while. I\'ve switched to EWQLSO lately. If you have any specific questions, don\'t hesitate to ask, I\'ll try to help out...

For realistic performance with samples, look into volume and controller curves, especially with crossfading patches (AO has crossfading versions of all instruments).

Since AO is recorded very dry, it\'s also necessary to achieve a realistic spacial placement of the instruments to get a realistic and really big sound. AO tends to sound very intimate and close right out of the box, which is not what an orchestral recording would sound like. On the other hand, this makes the library very flexible (with well developed mixing skills).

This forum containts a vast amount of information on this subject - do some searches. I particularly recommend the articles by Bruce Richardson. Here some of my favorite threads and external links:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=60841&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=25893&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=94578&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Unfortunately, my other NSS bookmarks do not work anymore because they\'ve switched to the new forum engine...

All the best for you and your music,

I used to use that setup.

That Advanced Orchestra takes a lot of work to sound good.

Here\'s some basics:

I don\'t think the samples in Advanced Orchestra are panned, so make sure you pan all the instruments to their relative positions in the orchestra.

Don\'t use quantizing. Quantized midi tracks are blatantly obvious and totally destroy the natural feel of an orchestra. To compensate for this, you might have to record at a slower tempo. You could also compromise and set the quantizer in Cubase up so it doesn\'t quantize notes that are within a certain distance from dead-on.

Record each instrument on it\'s own channel, and don\'t copy your midi control messages, like velocity, mod, and sustain. If you record 1st, 2nd, and 3rd violins all on the same midi channel, then when you add modulation on the midi track (which controls dynamics in a lot of libraries), it applies that modulation to all 3 notes, which produces a very synthetic and \"keyboardy\" quality.

It\'s late, and that\'s alll I could think of.

Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Wow what a great forum. Thanks to everyone for the links and tips. I'm crunching through the reading and applying the lessons for now. One quick question for anyone using a UC33 with Cubase VST 5.0 (PC) - has anyone made the template for Halion 2.0.x work. I can't seem to get mine to work with VST instruments yet it quite happily controls the VST Mixer channels and strips.

Go Back to forum