• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale file for playback

Share/Bookmark

Finale file for playback

For what it\'s worth, I\'ve decided to share my way of working (well current way of working anyway) with anyone else who uses Finale and is interested in direct playback through GPO.

I\'ve uploaded a Finale 2004 file and GPO setup here .

The demo is more about playback then showcasing my composition, but any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers,

Richard N.

Re: Finale file for playback

Sweet! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I opened the Finale file directly from the Internet, and I downloaded the .gpo file and then opened it. Worked first time.

Compare that to downloading an MP3 file. For me this is time saver because I use a wimpy dialup modem.

I don\'t listen to jazz very often, but I enjoyed your composition.

All we need now is for someone to develop a plugin that will automatically download both files, load them up, set the Finale device correctly, check and adjust for Finale version and play! Maybe someone could even develop and sell Finale files for school lessons like this, or a version of music-minus-one for soloists who want to play with the GPO.

Does there exist a version of Finale that integrates into a browser, like Sibelius\' Scorch? Not to my knowledge.

Thanks Adam.

I have been discussing the automation of Finale settings through FinaleScript over on the Finale Forum and it woudl appear that this is not yet possible.

As regards the Scorch equivalent, Fianle have dumped the Finale Viewer (which I believe was a browser based player) in favour of their free Notepad download. Notepad can only create very basic scores, but it can load and edit (to an extent) anything created on the full version of Finale.

Hi!
    I would like to download your files but I have a 404 error. The URL seems a little bit \"special\" as it seems to go to your local disk (..\\..\\, etc..., \\mydocuments, etc...).

Richard,

Very nice composition. Great to hear GPO used in a jazz arrangment in a notation program (the jazz fonts were nice too).

It was great being able to open up the Finale and corresponding GPO Studio file and just hit play. Its is good that people can hear the same work using the same sounds. Very quick and easy. Imagining amassing a clearinghouse of works where users can download GPO Studio files and notation files.

Thanks for posting this and for setting up a webpage demonstrating how Finale can be used to playback through GPO.

Gary Garritan

[ QUOTE ]

All we need now is for someone to develop a plugin that will automatically download both files, load them up, set the Finale device correctly, check and adjust for Finale version and play! Maybe someone could even develop and sell Finale files for school lessons like this, or a version of music-minus-one for soloists who want to play with the GPO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea kind of reminds me of the days of \"Mod\" music. Mod files are digital music files made up of instrument sound samples and sequencing information, telling a mod player when and how to play each sample. Mods were popular in the late 80\'s early 90\'s and the type of format originated on the Amiga computer (which was ahead of its time and could play a whopping 4 channels!). In those days everything fit on a floppy.

Although similar in concept, we can go way beyond what MODs have done. We\'ll explore ways we can deliver simulatneous or integrated notation/GPO or MIDI/GPO files.

Gary Garritan

Gil,

I\'ve fixed the link now - thanks. It did work when I originally uploaded it, but I then did a couple of edits to the webpage wording and Word2000 (not the ideal html editor!) decided to muck up the hyperlinks.

In case your browser has cached the erroneous page, please click on refresh when you next go there.

Cheers,

Richard N.

Hi!
    Links are working now! Thank for your quick answer Richard!
    I have another trouble : when opening your GPO file, it says for all the samples :
    \"Could not find sample\" with the following path :
    C:Program Files:Garritan Personal Orchestra:GPO Library:<GPO_Library_part1.nks>:Bb Clarinet Samples:BbClarD#3.wav
    As I\'m on mac, I suppose the path like that can\'t work... Tried things like that on my mac :
    /Volumes/Developpement/GPO\\ Library/<GPO_Library_part1.nks>/Bb Clarinet Samples/BbClarD#3.wav
    Any idea?

Gil,

I guess it is a Mac/PC thing.

Anyway, you can do it manually:

In GPO Studio Player 1, load:

Slot 1: Bb Clarinet ensemble
    Slot 2: Tpt 1 solo
    Slot 3: Tenor trombone ensemble
    Slot 4: Tpt 3 solo
    Slot 5: Steinway piano
    Slot 6: Section bass pizzicato

Thanks Richard! I will try it with your GPO Studio description.

Go Back to forum