• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Technical closed door

Share/Bookmark

Technical closed door

Hi guys:

Since you have been so nice in my last post, here I am again with boring tech problems. I am really wanting to try the GPO Studio plugin for Sibelius. Have read over and over pages 48 and 49 of the manual, but I get stuck in the mixer. Let me explain:

When I open \"devices\" in sibelius, it shows the 8 GPO Studio channels. However, when I go to the mixer to set my orchestral instruments individually, the \"device\" window does not show the GPO instruments.

Where are they?

Styxx:

Thanks for you last post, actually, I\'m not a composer, like most of you, but a conductor. Lately, I have found that studying my contemporary scores with sibelius has been an amazing tool. I\'m simply 100 times better prepared than before.

Thanks again!!

Rodolfo

Windows XP Home Edition
    PIV 3 Ghz
    1 GB RAM
    M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    Sibelius 3.0

Re: Technical closed door

Hey Rodolfo!

Being a conductor is not an easy task! I\'ve been there and truly respect the position.
    Sorry, I have no technical background using sibelius to help out but I am sure you\'ll find the answer here.
    Good luck!

Styxx:

Actually, my piano teacher (Richard Goode) used to say: there are many levels of intellect in the music field. On top of all are the composers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], then conductors, then instrumentalists and the rest of the pack.

If conducting is hard, I can only assume that composing is the most challenging of human musical endeavours.

Greetings,

Rodolfo

Hi;

In Sibelius when the midi devices appear at the launch of the program, you must select the GPO studio which has the instruments you are using loaded. For example if you are writing a piece using 8 instruments and they are all loaded into the GPO player 1, when you open Sibelius and the dialog box appears which shows the 8 GPO players you must select GPO player 1, when you do that you should hear several notes of the instruments loaded into that player. If you are using more than one player you must select all the players that you are using. At the point they should show up in the Sibelius mixer.. I am a Mac user and the above is how I do it on the Mac; However, it should work in the PC platform.

I am also a conductor (studies with Pierre Monteux) in addition to being a composer. The technique of conducting is easy, anyone can learn it in a half hour. The art of conduting is something that many conductors never learn in a lifetime.

Hope that this works
    Good luck

Ira Kraemer

Oh, someone was faster than me. All the typing was in vain... But after I read through your post a second time I think what you search for is the \"Reset Sounds\" button in the mixer. This will make the mixer re-detect the available devices. However, I decided not to delete the remainder of my post because it might be helpful to someone.
    ------------------------------------
    I recently gave up trying to get GPO Studio to work with my Sibelius but I know my way around the mixer:

) In the mixer window you see the channels on the left and on the right settings for each channel. If you dont see the right part, there is an arrow button to expand it.

) Click into the name of a channel. This selects it.

) In the right part of the window select your Output Device through the dropdown list. If the 8 GPO Studio ports are not listed you need to click on the \"Reset Devices\" button and answer the following question (\"Are you sure?\") with \"yes\".

) Set up the correct MIDI-channel for the staff using the botton right selection box with the arrows.

) Repeat for every staff.

This sure sounds confusing when doing it for the first time. Here\'s another example:

) Let\'s say you want to assign a Flute staff a Flute sound. So you load GPO-Studio, open the 1st GPO-instance, load a Flute of your choice into slot 1 (which corresponds with Midi Channel 1 on GPO-Studio port 1)

) Start Sibelius, create a Flute staff and set it up with the procedure explained above. I.E.: Open Mixer, select Flute staff, set \"Output Device\" to \"GPO-Studio 1\" set midi channel to \"1\".

) When you enter some notes and press play, you should be able to hear something but only if you set up GPO-Studio correctely.

The whole procedure must be repeated for every staff in your piece. I know, it\'s tedious but wait until you try editing your music in a sequencer: It takes me about 500-1000 mouseclicks to set up my midi-file for playing before I even can start thinking about editing the thing. And this is for every single piece of music... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I hope this was helpful.

Peter

p.s.: You also might want to look at GPO-Studio\'s well written online help document where all those procedures are explained in great detail and with screenshots.

Ira and Musicpete:

Thanks a lot! This is better than any tech support in the world! I have the GPO in working mood now. Of course, the more you learn the more questions arise...

First of all...Memory. Boy, how much RAM are we expected to have in order to run a full score? I thought that with 1 GB RAM, PIV 3 Ghz, I would be set at least to start, but it seems that even that beast is not enough. I got pops and cracks along the way. And I was consider enough not to even load the steinway.

I guess it is not possible to have 2 voices on one staff. If I understand correctly, when I set my flute 1,2 for Flute GPO on channel 1, it automatically assumes it as one flute, and therefore one sound at a time.

Musicpete, when you talk about sequencing, is it so power hungry as well? I am interested in your case, because you mentioned you gave up the plugin solution. How do you work your scores? Engraving first and then recording on a sequencer separately, wenn ich fragen darf...

Ira. Gr8 to meet a collegue on the forum! Could never go to the Pierre Monteux school because I was just a stupid pianist [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Or you mean you studied with Monsieur Monteux en personne?

[ QUOTE ]
    If conducting is hard, I can only assume that composing is the most challenging of human musical endeavours.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren\'t really comparable...

Hi Rudolfo

Yes, I studied with him (Monteux) in 1960 and 1961 at his school in Hancock, Maine which makes me one of his last students. I was a kid of 18 and 19 years old. I then went on to be a conducting major at Mannes Coll. of Music where I worked with Carl Bamberger for 5 years.

Rudolfo;

You would do best to assign serparate midi chanels to flute 1 and flute 2 the same is true with all winds in pairs and also with violins 1 and 2. If cello and bass are written as the same part as in a classical work, you would also have to assign a different midi chanel to each , even thought they play the same part.
    As I mentioned I use a Mac G4 with Sibelius and have upgraded to 2 megs of ram and a processor speed of 1.4 gighz. I was able to write a work for classical orchestra with single winds.

www.digitalphilharmonic.com/concertoverture.mp3

I think that if I used winds in pairs it would have overloaded the processor during passages of high density (quick 1/16 notes) runs.

Ira Kraemer

[ QUOTE ]

I am also a conductor (studies with Pierre Monteux) in addition to being a composer. The art of conduting is something that many conductors never learn in a lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The technique of conducting is easy, anyone can learn it in a half hour.

Hey wait a minute! If this is true...then, why did I have to take three semesters of conducting as a required course? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum