• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Pictures of an Exhibition

Pictures of an Exhibition

There is a sampled production of the entire Pictures of an Exhibition by Mussorgsky/Ravel (35 minutes....) at http://www.iwanroth-sax.com/Text_E/My%20Music_E.htm

It does make use of GOS/GPO/VSL/London Percussion and X Samples.

Re: Pictures of an Exhibition

Fantastic work Igor. PAAE is one of my favourite piano pieces and I\'ve spent years and years [unsuccessfully] trying to play just parts of it! I\'ve always been a bit dubious about Ravel\'s orchestration - till now! However, given the work and effort that has gone into your arrangements of this - why did you MP3 at 128kb/s rather than 192? 192 would add so much more to the sound quality.

Orcas Island

It is an honor to have you here. What an impressive body of work you have done. When I clicked the link I expected a few songs from the Mussorgsky-Ravel classic, but I didn\'t expect the complete Pictures at an Exhibition. This work is very difficult to pull of and you succeeded. Excellent rendition, balance and tonality. This also shows how GPO blends with other libraries such as VSL, X-Sample/ LP and GOS.

My favorites are Iwan\'s original work - especially his Diadem.

I noticed the studio setup on the website. Nice setup and I put a link to the studio in the GPO Studio thread.

For those who don\'t know Iwan:

Professor Iwan Roth studied music at the renown \"Higher National Academy of Music of Paris\" and studied saxophone under legendary saxophonist Master Marcel Mule (1901-2001 founder of the modern school of the traditional saxophone). While at the Academy, Iwan attend classes taught by Darius Milhaud and Olivier Messiaen which influenced in his musical development.

Iwan Roth has a distinguished career traveling the world as a concert performer and has played with many orchestras including: the Berlin Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic, the Philharmonic orchestras of Munich and Stuttgart, the orchestra of Scala of Milan, and the Zurich Orchestra. He has played under under the direction of Leonard Bernstein, Zubin Meta, Pierre Swell, Luciano Berio, Igor Markevitch, Colin Davis, Riccardo Muti, Sergiu Celibidache, and other Maestros and he has performed in the best concert halls ithroughout Europe, in the USA and Asia.

Iwan Roth has recorded 14 albums, has performed in many television productions, and has authored publications including \'Method for Saxophone Volumes I & II (over 30,000 sold). Iwan Roth has collaborated with Charless Aznavour, Sammy Davis, Mireille Matthieu, Johnny Hallyday, Sylvie Vartan, and Lionel Hampton Iwan Roth currently lives in the south of France where he teaches and produce smusic.

Iwan is the founder of the higher class of saxophone at the Academy of Music of Basle, which under his direction has acquired an international reputation. Between 1984 and 1992, Iwan Roth also taught with the Academy of Utrecht in Holland. In the USA Iwan Roth taught in Northwestern University - Chicago, Indiana University - Bloomington, and North Texas State University etc. He also has taught many master classes in Paris, Bordeaux, Sion, Switzerland/Nüremberg, Germany/Noto, Italy, France/Taragona, Spain/Amsterdam, Holland/Boston, the USA and Japan. He has also served on the panel of judges for international competitions.

Thanks for being here Iwan and sharing your work with us.

Gary Garritan

You are right about the quality, it is just to make it more easy for people with slow Internet connection to also have access to the files. But if this is not a reason anymore all files exist also in 192 and in AIFF.

Edit: I am in the process to replace all files with 192 mp3. Thanks for your comments.

What a fabulous rendition of the \"Pictures\"! How much of this was GPO?

< How much of this was GPO?>

Not much..... I did receive GPO when this production was already achieved, so I only did use some Bass Clarinet for replacement in Goldenberg. But I would like to reprogram at least one of the big movements using only GPO. I think that GPO is a great library, not only because it does not cost much, but because of the fantastic concept and philosophy which is beind the product. With GPO you can really make music, not only dry computer programming. I hope that there will be more developpements in this direction.

There are quite some GOS patches being used in the Pictures, sometime on there own and often layered with VSL strings. I also forgot to mention some Dan Dean Woodwinds being included and the Alto Saxophone is home made.......

Thank you for all your comments

Iwan Roth

Hi Iwan,

Very nice rendition of Pictures of an exhibition.

I went to your site and listened to your own compositions. Excellent work.

I was particularly fascinated by \'Diadem\'.

Could you give us an insight as to how you composed this piece.

Is it based on any particular scale or tone row ?

As it is very contrapuntal, how did you structure the individual lines both harmonically and linearly was there a plan or did you class the various simoultanaeitys by degrees of intervalic dissonance or consonance?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions but I am very interested in this style of composition and it is nice to have the opportunity to talk to the composer.

[ QUOTE ]
    <I went to your site and listened to your own compositions. Excellent work.
    I was particularly fascinated by \'Diadem\'.>

<Thank you very much for listening and for your comments.

Could you give us an insight as to how you composed this piece.
    Is it based on any particular scale or tone row ?>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the basic tone row in Diadem is C,C#,D,F.F# (0,1,2,5,6), but this was not the original idea, which is actually C,B,Bb,G,F# (the inverse), as played by the solo horn at the first beginning. This happen to be the row which Alan Forte calls Forte 5-6. The preparation was made by examining all harmonic and melodic aspects of this tone row. I normally finish up with with a bunch of sketches, which are using the material, but are not only mathematics, because they come mostly from my inner ear. After playing around for some time with this material, it becomes familiar like a C major scale. Actually it is exactly the same procedure as writing a tonal piece, but with non tonal material. Considering the form, I often use formulas based on the Golden section and on Fibonacci numbers, but as said before, exactly as I would use a Sonata form or a menuetto.

the files are now all 192 mp3. I does really make a big difference, even more then I thought. Thanks for your input!

Thank you for the good words. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And, please, keep on producing these great, innovating libraries. GOS has taking me back to samples after I had nearly given up with it. And GPO is a miracle for composers who want to use samples, but still want to stay a musician instead of becoming a computer programmer.

Go Back to forum