• Register
  • Help

Topic: 40-50% CPU usage playing one note with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

40-50% CPU usage playing one note with GPO?

New user attempting my first little sequence with GPO, and I\'m not having a good experience as far as CPU usage. I have an AMD 2400+ w/1GB of RAM (running Sonar 3.1.1 PE). Playing a single note using most instruments results in 40-50% cpu usage by Kontakt. Even after I let go of the note, CPU usage still reads around 40% on Sonar\'s meters. If I remove Kontakt from the synth rack, it goes back to zero. According to NI\'s website, I have the latest player (1.0.2.008). I have a ton of plugins (Atmosphere, Stylus, Trilogy, B4, Pro-53, M-Tron, VSampler, Absynth, SampleTank, Minimoog V, etc), and none of those have ever exhibited this type of behavior. I can even run several of them at 2.9ms (latency) without a problem. Anybody else seen anything like this?

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: 40-50% CPU usage playing one note with GPO?

I just discovered that it only seems to happen when I load the \"wet\" versions of the samples. If I select dry, CPU usage is much more reasonable. I would have expected the wet versions to have been sampled wet...that shouldn\'t make any difference. A sample is a sample. Are these being treated realtime by Kontakt or something?

Bill

[ QUOTE ]
    Are these being treated realtime by Kontakt or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bill...

Yes, it seems they are. Here\'s what Tom Hopkins wrote about it in another thread:

\"...The “wet” folder instruments use the same samples as the dry folder instruments but with the addition of a Kontakt reverb module set to a nominal level in each instrument...\"

If you want more detailed info from Tom regarding the \"wet\" samples, you can check out the thread Does anybody use the wet samples?.

Cheers

Rodney

Hi Bill

The samples in GPO are all \'dry\'. The wet versions are processed by Kontakt in real-time, which increases CPU load enormously.

I\'ve also got an AMD 2400+ with 1Gb ram and Sonar 2.2. At the moment latency is set at 11.9ms, which is fine for what I\'m currently working on. With 16 GPO instruments playing and with one instance of the bundled Cakewalk FxReverb my CPU load bounces between 22 and 32%

Hope this helps

David

Thanks everyone for the responses! I started snooping around in the GPO folders on my hard drive, and noticed that the wet samples had the word \"Reverb\" in the .txt files describing them. I also just found a thread in the Kompakt folder about what a hog its reverb is. I don\'t need the wet samples, as I will obviously process the instruments using sends in Sonar (if necessary).

Bill

Yeah...if you don\'t use them you could actually remove the wet sample folder altogether.

However, as pointed out by Tom in the above thread...the complete wet instrument folder is just 1.2 Mb, so removing it just to save HDD space is probably overkill.

Cheers

Rodney

Go Back to forum