• Register
  • Help

Topic: Complete Pictures at Exhibition Mussorgsky/Ravel

Complete Pictures at Exhibition Mussorgsky/Ravel

There is a sampled production of the entire Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky/Ravel (35 minutes....) at http://www.iwanroth-sax.com/Text_E/My%20Music_E.htm

It does make use of GOS/GPO/VSL/London Percussion and X Samples.

Re: Complete Pictures at Exhibition Mussorgsky/Ravel

Wow, this must have taken so much work! Overall, I really enjoyed it but have some constructive criticism covering three general areas:

First, keep a close eye on the phrasing – there were parts I felt like the samples were entered either by mouse or keyboard and not played in. For example, the bassoons in part 14 Cabane, seemed unnatural – not quite the way a player would have approached it as a line, but here it is sounding rather as a collection of notes, not a phrase. I also noticed this on various promenades. You might also want to put in more breath spots. Note the solo horn in 03 Promenade. Without a phrasing break, no breath and the end result sounds to me a bit artificial.

My second point is you might want to put more focus on the texture. In my opinion, this work is a masterpiece of Ravel’s orchestral coloring and his texture is critical to the piece. In 13 CumMurotis, much of the string murmuring is inaudible. This slightly hidden tension is delicate but important and brilliantly orchestrated.

Third, some last thoughts are generally technical in nature (and I have to confess I am not very good in this area but there were things I noticed). I didn’t think the EQ brought out the bass enough – especially in the percussion. Bass drums really move heaven and earth in this piece (especially the finally), but aren’t very audible in your rendition. Also, there is something not quite right about the reverb. I can’t quite put my finger on it except to say it does not sound natural. Perhaps others on this board like Bruce could better articulate what is missing in this area. Also, watch the attacks on some of your instruments. In Great Gate of Kiev, at around 3:45, the winds entry sounds almost like an organ and I think the reason might be the velocity of the attacks. You might also benefit from using more modulation to control the samples for volume effect. The finale goes from deafening to nearly inaudible. The instruments swell and roar during the work so you want to match it as much as you can.

Great job with this! You tried to tackle a challenging piece with your rendition. I don’t know if you’ve heard this work live before, but it gives you goosebumps hearing it.

Re: Complete Pictures at Exhibition Mussorgsky/Ravel

Thanks for listening and for your comments.

[ QUOTE ]
    I don’t know if you’ve heard this work live before, but it gives you goosebumps hearing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did play the piece far over a 100 times with some of the world most famous symphony orchestras. You may only have visited the page with this piece on my site....But this does not mean that your comments are not of value to me. I am also not a tech guy, so this about the reverb has for sure some truth about it. I plan to do a revised mix with the help of a sound enginer. It is not so easy to do for this kind of music. Anyway the reverb is artificial and as we know, artificial reverb does always sound artificial for trained ears; At least until now....

Go Back to forum