• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading entire orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Loading entire orchestra

I\'m a newbie to this forum (and to GPO) so please forgive me if I\'m posting in the wrong section (I don\'t see a \"new user help\" topic section anywhere, so I\'m posting this here):

How do I have the GPO function with the same ease as a Microsoft\'s default GS Wavetable Synth. Isn\'t there a way to simply load the entire orchestra by *default* and have the player dynamically load the appropriate instruments for the MIDI I\'m playing at the moment?

Currently, I have to listen to a MIDI using the GS Wavetable; write down which instruments I\'m hearing; then switch the output to GPO; and manually load each individual instrument section manually. And repeat it all over again, every time I play a new MIDI.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is it that difficult for the GPO to realize which instruments are playing, and simply load them automatically?

Cheers.
    Dimitri

Re: Loading entire orchestra

Sorry, but you are slightly abusing the library ;-)

GPO (and all other professional sample libraries) is neither GM/GS-compatible, nor is it intended to be used for the playback of existing MIDI files. There is no way GPO can figure out what instruments are used in a MIDI file. The only solution is to set things up manually, as you mentioned. And even then the file will not necessarily sound as expected, because for realistic playback, MIDI data has to be customized for the sample library in use. These libraries are designed to compose with and FOR them, and the results will not translate well to other libraries (without substantial work).

Hi,
    Thank you so much for responding! I guess I was under the mistaken impression that GPO replaced the need to purchase a hardware synthesizer (like Roland) for MIDI playback.

Honestly, I still don\'t see why there\'s no way for GPO to figure out the instruments in a MIDI file. After all, the instruments are written in each MIDI file, no? Every other synthesizer I\'ve come across is fuly capable of doing this. Why would GPO not support this fundamental ability?

Surely, there must be *SOME* way to accomplish this. Otherwise, I\'ve just spent $2,000 (for GPO, and a new computer to run GPO) for nothing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Cheers.
    Dimitri

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for responding! I guess I was under the mistaken impression that GPO replaced the need to purchase a hardware synthesizer (like Roland) for MIDI playback.

Honestly, I still don\'t see why there\'s no way for GPO to figure out the instruments in a MIDI file. After all, the instruments are written in each MIDI file, no? Every other synthesizer I\'ve come across is fuly capable of doing this. Why would GPO not support this fundamental ability?

Surely, there must be *SOME* way to accomplish this. Otherwise, I\'ve just spent $2,000 (for GPO, and a new computer to run GPO) for nothing [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Cheers.
    Dimitri

[/ QUOTE ]

do you own a sequencer? eg Sonar etc

because all you need to do is import the midi file and use GPO from within the sequencer

Hi Charles,
    I have ProTools, Guitar Pro, and Overture (which came with GPO).

So, I should open the MIDIs with one of these programs, and use GPO as the MIDI output? Wouldn\'t I still have to assign the instruments manually? Or is there a way to just load the ENTIRE orchestra and simply have GPO use the correct instruments?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot.
    Dimitri

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m a newbie to this forum (and to GPO) so please forgive me if I\'m posting in the wrong section (I don\'t see a \"new user help\" topic section anywhere, so I\'m posting this here):

How do I have the GPO function with the same ease as a Microsoft\'s default GS Wavetable Synth. Isn\'t there a way to simply load the entire orchestra by *default* and have the player dynamically load the appropriate instruments for the MIDI I\'m playing at the moment?

Currently, I have to listen to a MIDI using the GS Wavetable; write down which instruments I\'m hearing; then switch the output to GPO; and manually load each individual instrument section manually. And repeat it all over again, every time I play a new MIDI.

Am I missing something obvious here? Is it that difficult for the GPO to realize which instruments are playing, and simply load them automatically?

Cheers.
    Dimitri

[/ QUOTE ]

Spend some quality time in the Garritan forum. There is a MIDI file translation utility that helps the GPO instruments to respond to GMIDI sequencer files. I believe that it comes with the newest distribution, and can also be downloaded from the Garritan site.

The limitations on its use stem from the fact that the principal change comes from the velocity to modulation 1 data change. As GPO is driven largely off of MOD1 data, there is a limitation that if your MIDI parts do not have a lot of velocity expression (many just have flat notes at 100 note-on velocity, as many folk post MIDI files generated scores created with a mouse, not played in real time.)

So, even with the translator program, your mileage will vary. But, you should be able to get a good result with some follow-on editing and good voice selection in GPO. You need to load instruments into GPO. It is not an 8MB sound card.

To answer the underlying question, yes you will have to assign the instruments manually. That is the only way at this time. Sorry, I\'ve had to do it myself, and it\'s no fun. The only other option is something like the Universal Sound Module VST in Cubase (ecch!) or a high quality soundfont. GPO is not readily GM compatible, it was not designed to be \'plug and played\' into standard GM files.

Actually, couldn\'t you do what he\'s wanting with the full version of Kontakt? That should give you the ability to assign channels and such, I would think. (I could easily be wrong about this). Once you had set up everything for General MIDI, it would be done.

Go Back to forum