• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quantize question, dont laugh at me

Share/Bookmark

Quantize question, dont laugh at me

Dont laugh at me, but could someone please explain how to use quantize in the simplist way you can think of? Im using SX. I play to a metronome, then hit \"over quantise\" and the notes dont move so they are in time they move out of time! I just dont get it...

I have Storm Drum and want to make percussion grooves, but its hard without quantize working properly.

Ed

Re: Quantize question, dont laugh at me

Select a midi file.

click on the midi drop-down list at the top of the arrrangement screen.

select quantize set-up.

Make sure you have the following things set:

Grid: 1-16
    Type: straight
    Tuplet: Off
    Swing: 0%
    Magnetic Area: 0%

If you had different setting than this then it could be why it wasn\'t quantizing in straight 16th patterns.

At the bottom of this quantize set-up window, you\'ll see a button called \"Apply Quantize\". See if this buttons quantizes the part correctly.

Notice there\'s also an \"auto\" check-box.
    If you press F2 after you escape the quantize set-up window, this will bring up your transport. In the lower-left corner of your transport you\'ll see \"Auto Q\". If it is \"On\" it will automatically quantize as you record. If it\'s off, you can just select the midi part you just recorded, and press the \"q\" key.

If it\'s still not working right, it could be that you have latency issues that are causing the notes to appear in the graph much later than you actually recorded them, and it would cause the quantized part to sound nothing like what you recorded.

Does any of this help?

Also, when you open a midi file and the midi sequencer window comes up, look at the top center of the window, you\'ll see a quantize drop-down list. this drop-down just displays whatever resolution you have set in the quantize set-up window, but it\'s an easy way to change the resolution when you want to quantize 8ths, 16ths or 32nds seperately

Michael has explained it all for you in exquisite detail [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but I particularly agree with the last paragraph;

\"Also, when you open a midi file and the midi sequencer window comes up, look at the top center of the window, you\'ll see a quantize drop-down list. this drop-down just displays whatever resolution you have set in the quantize set-up window, but it\'s an easy way to change the resolution when you want to quantize 8ths, 16ths or 32nds seperately
    \"

Most of the time, if my notes wont fall on the right beat it is because the quantising is too fine. You might have it set to 32nds when all you are trying to do is lay down a kick and snare. In that instance you could probably use 8ths and it will quantise more easily.

The standard quantize function in any sequencer isn’t all that clever. It just lassos any note which lands less than 50% of the distance between two quantize points and dumps it right on the closest quantize point. There are more sophisticated options, like ‘iterative’ which allows you to gently ‘nudge’ wayward notes closer and closer to the strict quantize points by percentages, or templates which even allow you to use a free flowing performance as a quantize overlay. However, over quantize is the first port of call for most of us who are metronomically challenged

How well quantize works depends on a couple of things though.

You need to pick a quantize value which matches what you’re playing. In SX that’s done in the project window either in the drop down midi section of the toolbar under ‘quantize setup’, or in one of the three black drop down boxes on the right of the main toolbar (immediately to the left of the color chooser). Choose a quantize value which is as small as, or smaller than, the smallest rhythmic interval played on the track. If you’ve played a part with semiquavers(16s) and choose a quantize value of quavers(8s) your semiquavers will be pushed to the nearest quaver division in the bar. Conversely, if you play a part which is inteneded to be all 8ths and choose a quantize of 16ths, unless you play well, some of your notes may be pushed to a 16th position instead of an 8th. Sometimes it can be tricky because you may have a piece which needs only some sections quantized (eg you play a harp gliss which doesn’t want quantizing followed by an ostinato 16ths figure which definitely wants quantizing). In these cases you go into edit and select ONLY the parts to be processed, and then hit the big Q.

You need to play reasonably ‘on’. With standard over quantizing, if a note you play lands closer to one quantize point than another, that’s where it will be moved to. So if you play a note late enough, it’ll get slipped even later! Sometimes dropping the tempo can help here. Playing to a metronome is something you need to get used to. My old man swears that the metronome I bought him for christmas is broken – it apparently speeds up in the hard parts and slows down in the easy ones [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, remember that Cubase is quantizing relative to I’TS metronome – not any loop you’ve inserted into the track. Make sure everything you put down works relative to the click. If you’re using a midi device as a sound source for your click, make sure it responds instantly, otherwise when you play you’re referencing a delayed click, and Cubase isn’t.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Rick

All I know is that the quantizing function in my Roland XP-60 Keyboard/Sequencer is great, and the feature in Sonar 3 never works correctly! I don\'t get it. I\'m sure other software sequencers have a smarter quantize function.

Ive been quantising all my life in Cakewalk and Sonar, no problems here.

I\'ve also never had any problems quantizing in Cakewalk or Sonar. It\'s a good idea to read the manual so you understand what all the options do. I like to set the quantizing up so it\'s on the loose side without changing note durations. It normally only moves the notes a little more than halfway closer to the correct place. That way I keep some slop in there!

Ed,

Just a thought. When you\'re quantising there\'s every chance that one size won\'t fit all due to the different attacks (rise times) of various instruments.

Frank

Go Back to forum