• Register
  • Help

Topic: sonar3

Share/Bookmark

sonar3

Hi i am new to gpo. My question is can i use gpo studio and overture within sonar, if not how does one use gpo studio and overture with gpo?

jim

Re: sonar3

Hi Jim

If you are trying to use GPO with Sonar, check out this tutorial:

http://www.fallofautumn.com/GPO-Sonar-Tutorial.htm

I wrote it for GPO / Sonar beginners, to get them acquainted with the basics of using the two products together. I use them extensively in my work, and am trying to encourage others to do so as well.

The tutorial is intended for users who have already purchased GPO and Sonar, but if you have not, you can skim it anyways and get a feel for the workflow.

I\'m not sure how to use GPO with Overture, since I don\'t use them together, but Overture \"with\" Sonar? In that you can notate midi data with Overture, export the midi and import it into Sonar for further editing, yes, they can be used \'together.\' But they are two separate programs. They do not work with eachother like GPO works with Sonar (or overture). You basically choose one or the other - notater or sequencer. It is generally understood that sequencers are far superior to notaters. The drawback to the sequencer is that you have to use either the piano roll view for sequencing your midi data, or a built-in notater (that comes with Sonar, Cubase, Logic, etc.) that is really primitive in functionality.

Hope that helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Junk

Nice tutorial! I am going to have to remember this when I finally get Sonar 3 producer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks for posting!

Hi Junk,

I just had a quick look at your tutorial out of interest although I have Cubase. I notice that you have no acknowledgement there unless your name is hidden somewhere.

It\'s a lot of work to put something like that together so I think your name should be there unless you requested that it shouldn\'t.

Gary is usually very correct with this sort of thing so I guess it\'s an oversight, under what must be a considerable work load.

Cheers

Frank

Thanks guys

Actually, the link to it from Mr. Garritan\'s site mentions my name. True, it probably should be on that page as well. Maybe I\'ll have to nag Gary again, hehe.

\"Good lookin\' out\" as they say [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- Junk

Normally you will use GPO Studio with Overture to do notation. Sonar would use GPO as a VST plugin without using GPO Studio for sequencing or fine tuning a MIDI file created in Overture. GPO Studio is a program designed to interface with notation programs. So the main answer is that you won\'t use Sonar, Overture and GPO Studio at the same time.

Interesting commentary. How do most people go about this? I am using GPO within Sonar without a hitch, but I\'m mostly just playing around right now. I\'ve only had GPO for a week. I haven\'t even looked at Overture & GPO studio as an option. Is it a easier than loading several instances of Kontakt in Sonar and plugging (no pun intended) away an an orchestral arrangement? I\'ve been playing keyboards & piano for 35 years, but am not big on notation.

Bill

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it a easier than loading several instances of Kontakt in Sonar and plugging (no pun intended) away an an orchestral arrangement

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not a notater, stick with Sonar. Writing via the piano roll is easier for people who do not notate - it\'s at least more intuitive. The main thing to be concerned about is which program allows you to write most effectively and efficiently. It\'s no contest to me, I\'m a born n\' raised sequencer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you scroll to the bottom of the tutorial, one of the last chapters outlines how to develop a proper workflow within Sonar. It encompasses creating templates to load your instruments for you so you can focus more on writing, rather than inserting, importing, reverbing, eq\'ing, panning, and all that other crap that distracts from the writing process [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was wondering if I should include my orchestral template that I created. It\'s somewhere around 65 tracks. It takes about a minute to load, but all the players are appropriately bused, and the tracks are nice and neat.

- Junk

P.S. I probably should mention at the top of the tutorial that it includes a section on workflow at the bottom. *shrug

Go Back to forum