• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Broken Oaths (Exclusive GPO film score)

Broken Oaths (Exclusive GPO film score)

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that my new film score Broken Oaths starring Owen Miller (Out of Time) is up on my web site.

It was written in about three days using GPO exclusively. Here are the instruments and other tidbits of info on my GPO setup.

Flute Solo Vib
    Oboe 1 Modern Solo
    B Flat Clarinet Solo
    Bass Clarinet Ens 1
    French Horn Ens 1
    French Horn F Overlay
    Trumpet Ensemble 1
    Trumpet Overlay
    Tenor Trombone Ensemble 1
    Trombone Overlay
    Bass Trombone 1 Solo
    Tuba 1 Solo
    Tuba Overlay
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Tubular Bells
    Basic Orchestra Percussion Combo
    Violins 1 Sustain + Short
    Violins 2 Sustain + Short
    Violas Sustain + Short
    Cellos Sustain + Short
    Basses Sustain + Short

All the samples were played through four instances of the GPO Studio using only 512 MB of ram. It was written and recorded in Cakewalk Sonar 3 and used the packaged Ambience Reverb set to Ballroom 1.

This is the second film score that I have written using GPO exclusively. The other, The Psychic, can be found at:

If you guys have not tried it yet, I would highly recommend using GPO exclusively. Some people have the belief that you can not achieve the high dramatics of the more pricey sample libraries with GPO. I would beg to differ. I seem to be able to make things very dramatic.

Sorry that I am preaching to the choir here. I almost got into a fist fight with one of my friends over this issue here recently. I like to prove him wrong! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the score. Please, feel free to sign my guestbook.

West Seneca, NY

Re: Broken Oaths (Exclusive GPO film score)

Nice work man! Love the use of melodic percussion in the score. Pretty cool composing and use of GPO! Really shows how sophisticated this program is for the money. I have to say I am envious of your talent! Award winning!
    Five *****\'s!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fantastic work! I love it. And composed/produced in 3days? No-one can that fast!

OK, I\'ll rephrase - I\'ll never work that fast! (mind you, running a college computer network probably accounts for part of my slow pace!).

Anway. Another great score, (I also loved \"the Psychic\"), simple lines, expertly orchestrated and delivered. Good use of the bass section (we approve) .Something for the rest of us to aspire to!

Nice work Jonny. Thank\'s for sharing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fantastic stuff.

- m

UK- teeming with life....

Great stuff Jonny....regardless of time! I can picture the film!

Let\'s try and put a figure to your achievement so that others can compare.

Now let\'s see that\'s.... 3 days using a 1/2 Mb ram....that\'s 1.5 MB.days and this for 81/2 minutes of music. Right; that\'s just over 1min of music per 0.2Mb.days!! Can anyone beat that??

PS Thanks for sharing the instrument list.

Jonny, I think that was masterful! I would love to see the movie, but without it, this music already creates powerful pictures in my mind!

Frank - Jonny must suffer from some form of multiple personality disorder... there is no way 1 person could have done 1.5MB.days...(???) let\'s check the Guinness World book of records! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You continue to impress me with the quality of your music scores! You certainly have Herrmann\'s style down without sounding like your ripping him off as so many others do. You might like the score to \"Hanover Square\" as that was his rare \'piano concerto\' and the only time he featured piano, as I noticed you did on one of your scores.

Herrmann, as I am sure you know, wrote much music for chamber size ensembles and \'intimate\' orchestras, and GPO is IDEAL for capturing this sound. In fact it would be my first choice for that style.

Herrmann was genius at contrasting various size ensembles within the same score. This makes GPO great for contrasting with QLSO or SAM brass, etc in that setting.

Keep up the good work! I am putting all your compositions on a separate CD. Your GPO pieces are what I have been playing for people who ask me about GPO.

P.S.: I still think your website is top notch in it\'s look etc.

Orcas Island

Hi Jonny,

This is fabulous. You seem to have quite the Midas touch.

The woodwind solos at 1:07 are lyrical and can make one melt. Then the ominous transition at 1:42 - well written and orchestrated. There\'s so many wonderful monents in both your peices. Still can\'t believe you\'re 25 and put out such great music. And in about three days !!

Thanks for posting the mp3 and the instrument list. Your music is an inspiration to all GPO users. I wish you great success with Broken Oaths

Gary Garritan

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words. They really mean alot to me.

Styxx, thanks for the stars! YEAH!!!!!

Audiophobic, I\'m really glad that you liked the bass section stuff. I love low ominouos sounds and nothing does that better than the bass section. Being a bass player myself, although not a string bass but I\'d like to try one, I find that I usually write alot for the lower strings.

Nexus, that is awesome. I\'m flattered that you think so highly of my GPO scores.

Mr. Garritan, if I have the Midas Touch, it is because your product inspires me to write the way that I do. I sincerely thank you for making this available to all of us.

Now, I feel I must further explain the turn around time on this score. Although, the truth may really surprise some people, or make them sick as the case may be. (Pianoman, do you still have Guinness on the phone?) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

OK, I recieved the final, locked film last Monday. I didn\'t even get around to looking at it till Wednesday night, due to remodeling and my wife\'s high school concert/jazz band and choir concert. I sat with the film till Friday, decideing when and where to have music and basically digesting it to decide what I was hearing in my head (beside\'s the voices, I mean!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OK, Friday afternoon, I wrote the opening .17 seconds (as well as two rejected ideas for the same spot of the film). Saturday, I wrote approx. 1:30 of the first suite.

I got up on Sunday morning, made coffee and started writing around 8:30. I then wrote the remainder of the score and had it to the director in Florida (via the internet) by midnight. I wrote all day and actually finished the score around 11:00 pm. It was a very large file and took over an hour to upload to my server.

The director then combined my locked score to his film and had it to turn in to both his thesis commitee and the Canes Film Festival Commitee by Monday morning.

I truely hope that I can continue to write music that you all enjoy. Thanks for being so supportive of this young whiper-snapper (Although, if the old anology about being as old as you feel is true, then I must be about 132 years old. Has anyone ever tried to put in laminate flooring? Oui Ve!!!)

Go Back to forum