• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prince on MTV Friday night?

Share/Bookmark

Prince on MTV Friday night?

I was told Prince made a comment that there are no musicians’ left just people who use PC\'s - in an interview segment after his 1/2 hour concert on MTV Friday night. Mind you this is not a direct quote.
    However, this would almost certainly imply that music with PC’s conveys no musical background or training. I wonder if he realizes the ramifications of what he said? I wonder if he said this at all? I wonder what you think if it were said? I wonder what you\'re thinking just for grins!
    Had anyone seen this special and if so can clarify what was actually said?

Re: Prince on MTV Friday night?

Prince has a nice guitar, as for his opinions and any comments that he might have made they hold no weight in the grand scheme of things.

Computers don\'t make music though people can and do make music on computers.

Has Prince ever made music?

Is that a PRS I see twirling around? Prince...

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder what you\'re thinking just for grins!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I’m not sure if I’m thinking clearly or even at all. I have no idea what Prince said, but I run into this quite often when someone to whom I play something that was created in GPO or other software based music products says, something like oh the computer did that? Then dismisses it as something less than musical. It’s usually said by someone who wouldn’t know a violin from a serpent (see another nearby thread).

So what do you tell these people without getting angry? I’ve said things like, Oh yeh, I just sing into this mic some melody, and it comes out the speakers as a full orchestra. The worst part is that sometimes they believe me.

If they seem at least interested in what’s going on, I sometimes use the word processor analogy (most people know what that is). “You see it’s kind of like a word processor, many great books have been written on one but if someone with few writing skills, uses it the result will probably be mediocre. There are other tactics that I’ve tried with little success, like, asking them how they like the music on some TV show or movie, and astonishing them that in all probability, what they were hearing were sampled sounds.

“Well, you know the Philadelphia Orchestra wanted to play my piece, next season, but I just don’t have time for them what with my busy schedule making this phonycomputer music.” [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Then, the one I like the most is, “Is that you playing the guitar, or a fake?” I know people in general are clueless when it comes to most things musical, and I really don’t say much of what I wrote above, but how do you guys handle this kind of awkward situation? Or maybe there really isn’t much validity in what we’re doing. See I told you I wasn’t thinking clearly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that a PRS I see twirling around?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that is my Ibanez JS2000. I like the PRS guitars though I do not have one yet.

I believe Prince made his own guitar.

[ QUOTE ]
    Prince has a nice guitar, as for his opinions and any comments that he might have made they hold no weight in the grand scheme of things.

Computers don\'t make music though people can and do make music on computers.

Has Prince ever made music?

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche!

Prince\'s opinions either way have little revelance in my life at this time. The ramifications of is statement does however ask some profound questions \'of being\' just the same. I think the answer is pobably out there with the answer to the meaning of life? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    I choose to think (self deceit is wonderful) that what we are doing is creating music and therefor we are musicians. For now that will get me by.

Karl, I have had the same experience as you. Composing, Music, and PCs just don\'t compute in most peoples heads. I swear some think I take recordings of music and just cut and paste a song together. They pat me on the head and tell me just how sweet it is (like I am some child with a craft project from school!).

But how do you convey all we do in just a passing phrase? I do like the word processor/novel approach you often use - I\'ll give it a try though I\'m not going to bet on much success.

Maybe Prince is the same and just doesn\'t get it. Or maybe he has forgotten what a musician really is.

Wow! I have just had an inspired thought! Prince is just really pO\'d that we are spending our good money on GPO rather than on some come-back tour or something.

William
    (just in case your reading! I really love your 1999 album! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]It rocked man! Glad to hear your still kickin\' and making music!)

Retracting my statement.
    Thank you.

Actually Prince is a seriously talented dude, and not someone I\'d want to go head-to-head against in a battle of musical wits. Maybe in basketball (anybody watch Chappelle\'s show?).

I haven\'t exactly followed his career, but from what I remember of his earlier output, he used a lot of electronic samples, drum machines, synths, etc. This was back when PC\'s hardly existed, and any electronic music source was considered unmusical (and threatening) to the purist rockers coming out of the 70\'s (who, to be fair, had to compete with disco in their day).

Given his history, I would assume that this quote is either innacurate or taken out of context.

That said, Prince plays like 20 instruments, and has composing, arranging, and producing chops to boot--in other words, his use of technology is a supplement to his talent, not a substitute for it. If he did say what he\'s accused of saying, it was probably aimed at people who think having the latest music gear can make up for negligence of talent. If that\'s the case, then I agree. As much as I love GPO, I think a beginner\'s $250 would be better spent on 10 piano lessons or a handful of study scores.

but what do i know,
    chris.

Prince is a multitalented musician. It would seem a bit odd that he\'d criticize people for making \"computer\" music, since he has long been a solo multi-tracker, only hiring bands when he goes on the road.

Love his music or hate it, I\'d give my right gonad to have his talent.

If he DID criticize PC music, I\'m sure he was thinking about all the cookie cutter Brittney Spears, Acid-loop groove stuff that passes for music these days. While I think there\'s value in loops, etc., I can understand where he\'s coming from.

If, indeed, he said anything at all....

Go Back to forum