• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help using Notation Programs with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Need help using Notation Programs with GPO

I got pretty much everything working, including Stand alone with an external midi controller and the DXi with Sonar. The last (important) step left is for the GPO studio to work with a notation program.

Here is what I\'ve tried so far:

on a Compaq Presario Notebook with 3.06 Ghz CPU, 1 GRAM, WindowsXP

- after setting up all GPO components, loaded GPO first

- Went through the configuration and setup the audio drivers for the ASIO drivers ( I tried all other setups as well first with the same results)

- Changed preferences to a 256 buffer and synched it up with the ASIO driver for the card.

- Loaded a sample sound template that includes several CPO players, without exhausting notebook\'s memory ( no warnings)

- Tested each GPO player successfully using the \"Kontakt\" keyboard interface in GPO Studio, with playback sounding right.

- I Loaded Overture first and set it up as per the steps in the manual. It recognizes the CPO Players ( midi ports) , but when I start playing the file, no sound comes out of GPO.

- I tried Finale with the same exact results

- Both notation programs do work using the default midi ports ( MSWave synthsis), but when I switch to GPO no sound appears.

I tried the same after installing and trying all the above on my Compaq Presario Desktop, 2.8 GHz, 512 MEGRAM, two soundcards , with the same exact results

I also downloaded the latest from the support sites and installed both CPO studio and Overture patches with still the same results.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Re: Need help using Notation Programs with GPO

If you start Garritan Personal Studio (not GPO) and then load up your instruments in the slot and *then* start Finale you can go to advanced MIDI setup and select the GPS as your secondary MIDI (channels 17-32).

The rest is just understanding Finale -- in the Window/Show instruments you can assign midi channels to each staff, which will then play the appropriate GPS instrument.

Hi AlKindi!

I went through the same thing as you. The only difference being in me using Sibelius. GPO-Studio 1.0 worked perfectely but after installing a newer version I have exactely the same problem as you do. Many people tried to help me (including the helpful souls on this forum as well as Gary and Jeff Hurchella themselves) but up to this day there was no solution.

I really hope you will find the error and tell us all about it. Maybe it will help me, too. But right now I gave up on this and resort to using the much worse sounding samples of Kontakt Gold. Not a really helpful post, I know that, but let me wish you all the best and good luck in finding the problem.

The best bet will be to start working with a single track, which means temporarily forgoing midi files. Load up your instruments in GPO Studio and put the mode (in Settings) to \"ignore mod wheel\" - which is a temporary suggestion til you get things working. Follow the instructions in the manual or in GPO Studio help (they should be exactly the same) for your particular notation program, and then start entering notes on the first staff. Make sure this staff is set to send midi to the midi output device of GPO Studio 1, and to channel 1. In Overture you can see this in the tracks window. In Finale 2004 you generally just see the channel (as shown in the instrument list) but you get channels 1-64 to choose from. Also make sure you have an instrument loaded in GPO Studio player 1, channel 1, of course!

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, none of the above worked so far. I also tried the MIDI File Translator with no success. I wonder if its the same problem with the GPO midi ports.

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, none of the above worked so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need some details at this point:
    1. Version of Finale.
    (More debugging later as soon as we find this out.)

2. It sounds like you are using Overture SE, with recent updates. Right?

a. Start GPO Studio. Load a Piano into slot #1 of Player 1.

b. In Overture, click Options/Midi Devices...
    Make sure that the top Output Device is GPO Studio: 1
    Click on the blank button to the right of \"GPO Studio: 1\" and you should hear
    the opening notes of Beethoven\'s 5th.
    Do you hear it?

c. If you hear it, click ok for the MIDI Devices window.

d. Open the Tracks Window.
    For your track, select \"GPO Studio: 1\" under Device.
    For your track, select \"1\" under Chn.
    Close the Tracks window.

e. Play some music in Overture, do you hear it?

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, none of the above worked so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need some details at this point:
    1. Version of Finale.
    (More debugging later as soon as we find this out.)

2. It sounds like you are using Overture SE, with recent updates. Right?

a. Start GPO Studio. Load a Piano into slot #1 of Player 1.

b. In Overture, click Options/Midi Devices...
    Make sure that the top Output Device is GPO Studio: 1
    Click on the blank button to the right of \"GPO Studio: 1\" and you should hear
    the opening notes of Beethoven\'s 5th.
    Do you hear it?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where my testing stops. I could test the piano from GPO studio, and Output Devices are available and \"GPO Studio: 1\" is selected. The blank button does play Beethoven\'s 5\'s with the other synths, but not GPO Studio.

I do think that its a midi port problem. Most likely, the kind that you cann\'t reproduce on every system.

Thanks for your feedback

Oh yes, AlKindi, I can reproduce it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

It really seems to be a very strange midi port problem. When I select e.g. the GPO-Standalone player with piano in slot 1, and send the midi through maple midi then it works. If I send the same midi directely to GPO-Studio, then it doesn\'t work.

When I finish my current project I will try solving those problems.

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yes, AlKindi, I can reproduce it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

It really seems to be a very strange midi port problem. When I select e.g. the GPO-Standalone player with piano in slot 1, and send the midi through maple midi then it works. If I send the same midi directely to GPO-Studio, then it doesn\'t work.

When I finish my current project I will try solving those problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will keep you updated if I find a solution. For now I am using midi loopback, through a USB midi interface by connecting its output to its input, and use Overture to send midi data to Kontakt. The problem with this is that I have to carry this little midi interface with my laptop and I can\'t use GPO Studio at all.

Go Back to forum