• Register
  • Help

Topic: Galaxy Steinway!!

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy Steinway!!

I just played around with the Galaxy Steinway for a while. The 5.1 title is very deceptive. This is a dryish piano. much dryer than the Milan, EW Steinway B or the Post Bosendofer 290. I like the sound of the L R (close) samples the best. I haven\'t tried the piano in surround yet. The rear L R are a tad bright on their own, but probably sound great in a surround mix. But these rear samples are still quite dry. This piano was recorded in a nice sounding piano room and NOT a hall. You have to enable the low frequency channel to hear all the low end, which is a drag, because of the polyphony. Any way, the sound is really nice and present with good dynamics. It is the best dry piano I have played. (I haven\'t played Worras) The imaging is extreme on the close samples, so if that bugs you, you have to collapse the image a bit. I really like the crystal sound quality and this piano seems to have the most realistic ZING out of any of the pianos, when you play a forte chord in the low mid range. It doesn\'t get all thumpy and muddy. And it still sounds good when you play soft and that is a very good thing indeed. I began comparing it to the Milan and it basically sounds like how I would imagine the Milan close samples to sound. My favorite pianos are now the Milan and the Post Bosie 290 for orchestral. The Malmsjo for ambient tinkly orchestral and the Galaxy for up close. Adding verb to the Galaxy does work well also. But that\'s just me.

Re: Galaxy Steinway!!

Some people thought the demos sounded as if the Galaxy Steinway is heavily filtered. Did you notice anything in that department too?

---------------
    Alex Cremers

No, there isn\'t any filtering that I noticed.

Hi,

i\'m waiting for this Piano to test it and try my new discovery to produce real pedal up/down behaviour.

I like a dry piano. For live performance it\'s perfect. And you can make your own sound.

The wait is long !

Please Fedex !

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Olivier

Thanks, Nick for posting some info this piano. It\'s really helpful to hear a constructive evaluation from someone who has actually played around a bit with a library!!

I didn\'t care for the Galaxy demos and hoped for feedback soon from somebody who had a chance to play it. (Given how the demos strike me and your feedback, while not negative, I think will take a pass on it and wait for the other Steinway libraries). Re your comments on the Post Bosie and ArtVista Malmsjo: Those are two of my all time favorites too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Fozzy

Just listened to the demo.

I know it\'s an mp3, blah, blah...but I wasn\'t crazy about the decay. At some points it sounded like a Wurlitzer. Kinda dead, when a real Steinway would have still been ringing.
    But I didn\'t play it, and respect Nick\'s opinion. But just based on the demo it wouldn\'t beat my East West Steinway B out of any work

Much more interested in the Bosendorfer, and the odd but captivating White Grand.

Hi,

I\'m still waiting the Galaxy Steinway. Strange behaviour of Fedex France...

Regards,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Is it possible that the France Customs Office intercepted your Galaxy Steinway? You could be in for a long wait if they did get a hold of it. Did you order it outside the EU?

-----------------
    Alex Cremers

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum