• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Brass Clusters, Dated?

Brass Clusters, Dated?

Recently, I\'ve been in a couple of situations where clients have had a bad, sounds-like-the-70\'s reaction to the use of brass clusters (horns or trumpets, etc) in one of my film or tv cues. Has anyone else had this reaction? Planet of the apes was mentioned... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Brass Clusters, Dated?

Interesting.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I\'m using lots of clusters but I haven\'t got that reaction yet. Do you mind posting a sample of the cue they had that reaction to? 70\'s orchestral is cool though but maybe not if the intention is the sound of 2004.. post a mp3!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well...not all people can stand those beautiful dissonants. Those people should be forced to listen to Stravinsky on a daily base [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Allo Monsieur Ned

For my money there is nothing sweeter than a nice, loud, farty, BRRAAAPT from a bone section. It\'s always going to come down to a question of taste I guess. Those didn\'t sound \"dated\" to me. Quite like Manhunt. Sam Bones?

They\'re both nice cues, but I could hear what they are saying about the 70\'s style. It has less to do with the clusters, per se, and more to do with harmonic rhythm, it seems to me.

I can totally see where they are comming from with Manhunt. Its very 70\'s, the dissonant sustaining organ sound and the drums and congas and triangle scream Big Screen version of anything 70\'s IMO, add the xylos and you\'ve got PotA. I mean, it could totally work in context, and \"retro\" is cool nowadays, but just on listening alone, I get very 70\'s....all you have to do is make it more low fi.

Lose the xylos and use pizz or short strings or something. Possibly add more dynamics in the rythm section

not so much with slowbuild tho (which is more like Shore + Fincher IMO)

what are they looking for?

cool cues none the less.

There are PUH-lenty of brass clusters in \"The Matrix\" - ad nauseum, in fact...

The thing that makes \'Manhunt\' sound \'70s to them is that it\'s modal - all F minor (or dorian, or however you think about it). That\'s what was going on in the early \'70s, of course. \'Planet of the Apes\' is serial and uses no rhythm section, but they\'re right that Goldsmith uses closely voiced brass notes and bongoes. In other words, it\'s about as close to \'Apes\' as I am to a gorilla...

But I suspect that the reason they don\'t like it is that it\'s repetitive. I don\'t mean to put down your work, because I\'m sure it works with the show; it\'s just that that\'s what makes it different from something you\'d put on to listen to.

I actually love that style, but it is evocative of 70\'s scoring icons Lalo Schifirin and Jerry Fielding, among others, who excelled at doing those kinds of things over a groove. 12 tone composition meets Stevie Wonder or Sly and the Family Stone. Brass clusters, per se, on their own, are not dated, I don\'t believe.

Dirty Harry, The Mechanic, Enter the Dragon are films that come to mind more than Planet of the Apes/J.Goldsmith for me. BTW, Rush Hour 1 and 2 showcase Lalo S. doing 70\'s Lalo, today.

I really like your cues, 70\'s-ish or not.

John Z.

Go Back to forum