• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gregorian Chants?

Share/Bookmark

Gregorian Chants?

Hi Guys,

I did a search for any info on some Gregorian samples but came up empty. I thought I saw a thread a while back on this subject but...

Anyone know if there are any libraries that feature Gregorian chants etc. I have VOTA which is really wonderfull but would like to expand a little further.

Thanks.

Mark Dalzell / AudioScapes
    Las Vegas, NV

Re: Gregorian Chants?

Symphony of Voices (SOV in short) has Gregorian patches and phrases. I am not sure if they are included in the demos on:
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/symphonyvoices.html

Success,

Peter,

Thanks for the link. Very impressive samples. I see you have this library listed in your arsenal of tools. (Nice web site BTW).

What is your overall impression of SOV? I couldn\'t tell by the
    info if there were any key-swithing features/articulations. Have you found much use for this library vs. VOTA?

Thanks for you time.
    Regards,

There aren\'t any key switches to SOV that I\'m aware of, but there is velocity switching. It\'s a somewhat older library in terms of features, but as far as the samples themselves go, they\'re excelent! You\'re sure to find alot of diverse uses for the stuff included in SOV. And I don\'t think VOTA and SOV are that redundant, more like they compliment eachother. Each kind of fills in where the other leaves off.

Yep, no keyswitches, it\'s an AKAI library that you will have to convert to Gigastudio (which is easy).

Still, it has the typical Eric Person/Spectrasonics quality: the best.

SOV and VOTA complement each other, there is hardly any overlap in style.

You really should make cross-fade and keyswitch patches for yourself from the Akai version

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Guys,

I did a search for any info on some Gregorian samples but came up empty. I thought I saw a thread a while back on this subject but...

Anyone know if there are any libraries that feature Gregorian chants etc. I have VOTA which is really wonderfull but would like to expand a little further.

Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV

[/ QUOTE ]

When you get a chance, check out BelaDMedia\'s threads here on their upcoming products. After putting up a new choir library, they also have plans for a \"Voices of Faith\" performance file library that should include some chants.

[ QUOTE ]
    You really should make cross-fade and keyswitch patches for yourself from the Akai version

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually created keyswitch versions of the most important vowel patches. You\'re right, with some extra work you can get a lot more out of SOV. Shortening the releases is another good one.

I haven\'t tried cross-fades yet, good idea!

not to forget to just import the audiofiles into your sequencer and edit them by hand [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

you have exact control over each vowel and phrase, you can stretch out just a little part at the end of a phrase and you can crossfade them together, so it sounds that the choir would really sing the whole line.

you can pitch stacc samples for a few cent or stretch them one or two %, so you get different staccato samples to make it more realistic etc etc

Go Back to forum