• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO & GOS lite Together?

Share/Bookmark

GPO & GOS lite Together?

We most likely covered this before and I apologize for being repetitive. (No you don\'t...you want to know you sniveling, conniving, lousy, no good for nothing, no good nick!)
    Can GPO and GOS lite be used together in the full kontakt player or any other sampler for that matter or must be used as separate entities? Or, do I have my wife make soup out of the disks for a \"lite\" snack?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: GPO & GOS lite Together?

If you\'re talking about sequencing, sure you can. You run your sampler as a VST instrument, and GPO as another VST instrument, no matter what your main sampler is. As for the full version of Kontakt, sure, they\'ll both work in Kontakt once your convert GOS lite out of GIGA.
    Of course, if your trying to do playback in a notation program, using multiple sample libraries with GPO isn\'t happening without the full version of Kontakt, but as long as you can convert your library into the full version of Kontakt, even that should be OK.
    Personally, I\'m trying to do the only thing you CAN\'T do--run multiple sample libraries from another sampler (Emulator X) and GPO simultaneously for Sibelius playback. If I ever succeed, I\'ll be sure to let everyone know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Mark

Sal,

Yes, just to clarify, they can work just fine -- I load the instruments interchangably into the full Kontakt (once I converted them to the Kontakt format).

It\'s really nice, because the solo string instruments in GPO nicely complement the GOS lite strings, and vice versa. I just have too much stuff now to play with and too little time to do so...

[ QUOTE ]
    (once I converted them to the Kontakt format)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, what do you mean by convert them to Kontakt format? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Have you tried Hubis loopback or Midiyoke to connect virtual midiports in sequencer/notator progs to virtual midiports in VSTis?
    I\'m not able to try it but I believe Notator progs will drive giga via Hubis.
    So maybe it will work. I\'m just afraid of getting in a hopeless tangle with nothing working.
    Ideally I\'d like to have a notator prog drive a sequencer which handles all the nuancing (like Maestro tools intercepting the midi stream) then playout of GOS and GPO and anything else.
    Its just a pity the notators in sequencers aren\'t good enough, and the sequencers in notators aren\'t good enough. Though I must say the graphic editor in Overture points the way. It just needs to be done better. Overture would clean up if they sorted the program out.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    (once I converted them to the Kontakt format)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, what do you mean by convert them to Kontakt format? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They come in the Gigi format -- so you need to convert them for use in Kontakt. Think of it like having a Lotus 123 spreadsheet you want to use in Excel. You need to convert it first (which Excel does by loading it in) and then you can save it as an Excel format.

Kontakt includes a conversion routine which does this. It\'s not perfect (I still haven\'t converted the KS instruments, but it\'s not that big a deal since the other instruments overlap them anyway) but it works just fine. Once they are converted they are saved in the Kontakt format and load up just like GPO instruments do.

OK, thanks.

I use GOS/Lite through HALion (imported from the GIGA original as there was not yet a HALion variant when I purchased it) and GPO through the supplied Kontakt player. Of course, there\'s more control of various parameters (99% of which I\'ve not yet figured out) in HALion than in the Kontakt player, but it works fine for me. Both appear as VST instruments to Cubase SX.

my $0.02 -- kev

Halion will \'work and play nicely with others\'. Giga will not! I don\'t expect this situation to change much with the new Giga 3.0, inspite of what their add says.

Go Back to forum