• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kinda OT: Music of Robert Kral and TV scores

Kinda OT: Music of Robert Kral and TV scores

Hey everyone,

Like I said once in an earlier post, I like the TV show Angel. The things that drove me to watch it was mainly the musical scores that were originally done by Christophe Beck and taken over by Robert Kral. Mr. Kral is a bonified GOS user (as he stated in his interview on the Northern Sounds Forum a while back, hence the \"kinda OT\").

There have been no score CD releases, that I no of, of either Kral\'s \"Angel\" or Beck\'s \"Buffy the Vampire Slayer\". Now it seems to me that this is almost a crime. Have the big wigs ever actually listened to the scored that these guys put out? They are absolutely amazing.

I know that Mr. Kral used to hang around here sometimes. I would be eternally grateful if the would release actual scores from Angel (or suites).

While I\'m at it, Mark Snow has never put out any score releases of Smallville or the now dent Birds of Prey. Both also have tremendous scores. Everyone seems to be centered around his scores for the X-Files (which are also very good!)

I\'m not really sure what the point of this post is. These are just a few things that have always bothered me.

At one point Christophe Beck was independently releasing suites from the 2nd and 3rd season of Buffy, but not anymore.

So I guess I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Thanks for letting me rant.

PS. You know, since he uses your library, maybe you could pull a few strings, Mr. Garritan! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

West Seneca, NY

Re: Kinda OT: Music of Robert Kral and TV scores

Hmmm interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
    PS. You know, since he uses your library, maybe you could pull a few strings, Mr. Garritan

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don\'t you mean \"pluck a few strings\"? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Hi Johnnie

Consider those strings \"plucked\"!!

It is a crime I agree that the above scores have not been released.

What you must realize is that as composers in Hollywood, we do not own our music once it is written for the production: the studios own it entirely. As such we need permission from them if we want to release it / put it on an album etc., unless they put it on an album and release it themselves.

During Season 2 Angel, there were three record labels contacting me wanting to release an Angel score album. (EG Crescendo: which releases a lot of sci fi scores). Fox was not interested so that puts a quick stop to it. OF course, Fox might have been thinking that if anyone were to release it they would want it to be themselves, yet they didn\'t want to as they felt \"releasing an album means a TV show is about to be cancelled\".

(Don\'t ask me to explain the logic there: I don\'t get it!!).

However, at Fox, there was always one person in the creative department who felt there should be an Angel soundtrack album: Jacquie Perryman.

Only very recently Fox has announced to me that they are now interested (the show is cancelled!), and I\'ve put together a mock-up album which is currently being looked at by EMI in the UK (EMI headquarters). We are currently waiting on and hoping for an approval.

ITs a huge album and will contain many musical hilights of the soundtrack score. Currently there will be 2 songs also. There\'s plenty of material and songs for a double album easily, but they\'ve indicated they want a standard single album.

So we will wait and see!

If it doesn\'t go ahead, I will probably not be able to get permission for an independant release, but we\'ll see.

Thanks for all the compliments, and I hope this clears up some of the questions!

Mr. Kral,

Wow, I didn\'t expect you to answer this post yourself. I greatly appreciate it.

If and when this album is put out, you can gaurantee that I will be buying a copy of it. I was really excited a while back when www.cityofangel.com was going to put individual cues on thier website. Unfortunately, that fell by the wayside very quickly.

I enjoy your talent and I was being truthful when I said that the music is what drew me to the show.

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me.

It is truly a shame that more television and \'low budget\' scores are not released but the situation has improved dramatically in the last decade or so. I recall desparately wishing they would release the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits scores, as well as other shows back in the sixties (they were finally released in the eighties and ninties). In those days they would only release the music if it was done by a top composer with much noteriety like Goldsmith. Now that is a good thing, but we need to hear the lesser knowen composers as well, please!

You can count me in for a copy of Angel and Buffy scores too! Quality scoring all the way around.

One composer who has been heard all over the place but is still pretty much unknowen is Christopher Stone. He was one of the pioneers of \'sampled orchestra\' for scoring small budget films and t.v. shows. Many samples in EMU\'s original orchestral sample library for the E-II were from him. He was a master of the old Synclavier II and had a terrific (even by today\'s standards) orchestral library custom made for his Synclavier. Several of the lesser knowen film composers at that time like Richard Band used his studio and expertise to work on their projects.
    Just check out Band\'s score for the horror flick \"The Ressurected\" and be impressed by the authenticity of the sampled orchestra on the Synclavier (with a little help from an E-III).

Gee I sound like I\'m schilling for Mr. Stone, don\'t I? Sorry.

But there are so many talented people in the business whose talent goes un-recorded.

(P.S.: I thought I recognized the GOS strings in those \"Angel\" episodes!)

Orcas Island

Thanks for joining us. You are always welcome here.

For those who are interested, there is an in-depth interview we had with Rob Kral on this forum a short while back:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=108561&page=0&amp ;view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#108561

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum