• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In over my head...

Share/Bookmark

In over my head...

Yes...looking through such threads as \"GPO Studio?\" I get the impression that most people here are really professional. They have these elaborate set-ups; two or three computers, mixers, surround sound speakers, multiple keyboard...here\'s my GPO \"studio\": a computer, three speakers. Yeah, not even a keyboard. There\'s a piano in the living room and I compose with a notation program (Overture). I just do this as a hobby because school doesn\'t keep me too busy. Little compositional training outside of blues/jazz, four years of piano. I bought GPO because I happened to have five hundred bucks in the bank.

This is like learning UBB Code and showing off my knowledge at a C++ coding forum.

So...er?

Re: In over my head...

Is there a question in there somewhere? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, just relax and enjoy your tools, and this community. Compose/arrange something and share it with us! I\'ll bet you\'re being too modest. Or, just do so for your own enjoyment.

--Eric

Yeah, the question, I was thinking of one, but the idea didn\'t really pan out...

\"Should I go back to MIDI, or go learn composition, or stick around for fun, or what?\"

Same boat here. Computer, GPO, 3 speakers, a Radium 49 (hardly ever used so far), Overture. I have had absolutely no musical training aside from that which can be garnered from books and other people. GPO sure is fun though and that\'s why I bought it. Music has always been interesting to me, so I thought I\'d try my hand for personal enjoyment. I don\'t care much for modern/mainstream music so I thought that if I could create my own then I\'d have an endless supply of music that I want to hear, boy was I wrong (unless I get to the point to where the sounds I want to hear are garbage. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Sweet. Let\'s start an \"Inexperience Club.\"

Hey,
    Am I the only fool who feels all of you are good composers and growing each day no matter what the level!
    Cerrabore check your PM.
    Man, I am NOT a good composer but I am learning from all of you! Right now I am going through the worst time of my life and you guys with your new music no matter what is keeping me in line.
    Compose! Write! Play! It\'s your gift from God and it isn\'t a cheap one! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Cerrabore, I\'d answer \"all of the above\" to your question! If you\'re a good independent learner and have some musical background, you could check out the resources at Alexander University. Check out www.truespec.com .

--Eric

Cerrabore, it\'s all about being poor, either that or Mark Twain\'s comment that a man\'s hobby is the purest vocation one could have.

I\'ve been building up my system for a couple of years, but you\'ve got to realize I and others were as much intimidated by the GPO as people with system limitations. We all have them. You learn to work around them. Don\'t get hung up abuout what is possible withe the GPO: make it work for you.

I think it\'s the genius behind the product. It\'s that good. Depending on what you want to do, it won\'t take long. But from what you\'ve said, just give yourself some time.

No doubt a well-written text on the subject is invaluable. Here are a few I recently added to my personal library:

* Principles of Orchestration by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov (Author)
    * Study of Counterpoint by Johann Joseph Fux, Alfred Mann (Translator)
    * Orchestration by Cecil Forsyth (Author)
    * Treatise on Instrumentation by Richard Strauss (Author), Hector Berlioz (Author)
    * The Reel World: Scoring for Pictures by Jeff Rona

From Amazon Books.

And please visit our forums on composing, arranging and orchestration (shameless plug -- but, we do promote GPO, so Gary shouldn\'t be unhappy :&gt

Actually, someone with a computer and GPO is already miles ahead of what anyone had to compose with even as little as 2 years ago. So don\'t feel bad, you\'ve got all the stuff you need, you just need to start using it!

(Did I mention we have \"Arranging and Orchestration for Dummies\" forum topics?)

Go Back to forum