• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: best midi keyboard

Share/Bookmark

best midi keyboard

What is the easiest and most versative MIDI keyboard out there? Do they come with things like pedals to control sustain, and other things (I\'m a flamenco guitarist, sorry, forgive me if these are foolish questions.)

Anyone use and recommend a MIDI guitar (w/ pedal) instead of a keyboard for inputting non-guitar instruments? Or is that just plain dumb?

Dimitri

Re: best midi keyboard

Boy, what is the best car you can buy today?

It really depends on so many things -- your budget, how many octaves you need/want, whether piano key touch is important to you, whether you want lots of MIDI controls on it, need onboard sounds (a MIDI synth), etc. etc.

For compactness it\'s hard to beat the Oxygen-8, kind of a \"standard\" when it comes to portability (lots of pro guys use it on the road with their laptop). M-Audio makes great products in general, so any of their line is good.

Fatar is said to have the best touch on all controllers, so if you come from a piano playing background and need weighted keys it\'s probably the best.

For value Edirol is probably near the top (I have one) although M-Audio are also very reasonably priced.

My best advice is to go into a large music store and start playing the keyboards until you find one you like. Make sure it has a mod wheel, though (nearly all allow you to add a sustain pedal).

I\'m not a guitarist, so I can\'t comment on that aspect.

I agree with Mike. However, here is my favorite choice.

An organ grinder. You get the monkey free and the pay isn\'t bad either. Plus, you can take your work with you anywhere you go. The only drawback in finding a midi cable that fits the monkey\'s _ _ _ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Hi,

I recently bought the Edirol PCR-80 and can\'t fault it. The size is right for a home studio and gives you full range on most GPO instruments. Edirol are part of Roland so the product seems to be good build quality..

The pots / sliders are abit fiddly but seem to work fine.

Check out the link below.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Ediron PCR80

Best of luck.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

I recently bought the Edirol PCR-80 and can\'t fault it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevertheless, pay big attention to the kind of modwheel which goes whith Edirol/Roland keyboards : it\'s not a wheel, rather a small multi function lever (pitch bend is from right to left, and for modulation, it\'s from down to up with a very-very short range IMO).
    Personnally, I was totally unable to get used to the modulation (I never found the right amount of precise control, and felt this action very tiring for my wrist) , and so I had to re-sell my roland a30 a few weeks after buying it.
    But well, I guess that many other people did not encounter those problems, since Roland have been selling those keyboards for a while now.
    Just make sure it will be right for you.

Good point...
    It does take getting used to...

[ QUOTE ]
    Check this:
    http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse04/Content/M-Audio/PR/Keystation-Pro-88.html
    Not bad for $600.

[/ QUOTE ]

ever since they annoucned this one, it has caught my eye.
    since the keyboard is usb maudio told me that you would be able to use it as a shortcut /strings etc. at least to equal key commands.
    you should be able to pick this one up for under 499.
    comes out late may.

douglas

We just purchased one for our main studio midi studio and its great. I love having 88 keys to my disposal. Too many features to comment on right now but I am working on it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

This caught my eye in SOS this month as well. Hey Styxx - what\'s the mod wheel like? It looks quite small in the pic, but maybe because the keyboard is so big. What did you pay for it?

I agree with earlier posts about Roland keyboard, there\'s always the risk of nudging the pitch when trying to mod.

Go Back to forum