• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mellow but full body Grand Piano: Suggestions?

Mellow but full body Grand Piano: Suggestions?

I´m still looking for a \"darkish\" but full bodied grand pianosound and I wonder what library would fit best (I had the idea of a sound similar to the piano sound Fiona Apple or Tory Amos use when playing solo piano or the sound you need to play Satie).

I owned the Grand and sold it....crap
    I own 4 excellent libraries (Vintaudio C7, Vintaudio Upright pianos, PMI Boesendorfer and ArtVista Malmsjo Grand)

They are all first class pianos cutting excellent through the mix but there is something I miss when I play solo projects or projects together with my singer.
    The closest is the Malmsjo Grand but sometimes it is a bit to indirect meaning you don´t have complete control over the ambience used.

From the demos the new Steinway Hans Adamson is developing seems to be close to what I imagine but I don´t know when it will be finished.

Are there any other suggestions what to do to achieve the sound I imagine (not sure if I could make my point clear -> not too brilliant but not muddy either with \"body\"). Maybe it can be achieved with proper equalisation or a special ambience (I have an UAD card).
    I always lack something in those pianos when it comes to solo performance (maybe it´s the lack of resonating strings which a real piano provides). Any tipps or hints to a special piano library?

Thanks for your input

Re: Mellow but full body Grand Piano: Suggestions?

Hi Raindog,

I might be wrong about it (hope not !), but I think Hans awhile back indicated a tentative target of May for release. Hopefully he\'ll post an answer for us. I am definitely looking forward to it.

Of the available libraries, have you considered the new Steinway from Milan Digital Audio? I would check out their demos. They have a very nice demo with a vocalist and that library. Milan Demo Page - Steinway

It\'s only available so far in Kontakt. I think it\'s likely the best candidate. They have a downloadable test library you can use to evaluate it.

I also like the PMI Steinway, but not sure it would for work for you. It\'s pretty dry and dark as libraries go. Just a thought though.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I always lack something in those pianos when it comes to solo performance (maybe it´s the lack of resonating strings which a real piano provides).

[/ QUOTE ]

It\'s a LOT of things. That\'s why they\'re still making tons of real pianos (and violins, and saxophones and everything else). There\'s a lot going on in a real piano, including much interaction between notes played simultaneously. The action gives the player a lot of feedback. A real damper pedal controls strings in a way that no sampled piano damper pedal can (to date).

I expect the bar to continue to be raised, but it\'s going to be a long time before a sampled piano will be a truly satisfying experience for serious pianists.

I also really think there\'s a spiritual dimension to this. It\'s difficult weaving a bunch of notes bonged with no musical intent into a convincing musical performance. It\'s a struggle.

I appreciate the valiant efforts of the developers chasing the dream, but at the end of the day, I gotta have a real piano. High end sample libraries and top-of-the-line samplers aren\'t cheap. That money could be used as a down payment on a real instrument. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lee Blaske

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree (being a former player of the real thing). The only problem is my back pain carrying a Steinway to and from the gig, the problem with proper recording (microphones) and my lack of skills needing some midi editing once every while.

Additionally my neighbours convinced me to play something which makes use of headphones (at least when playing at 2 am) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I´m aware that it´s a compromise but I´m still looking for a better compromise than I already have. Any further suggestions? (I will try the Milan demo, thanks for the tip)

Best regards

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

It may be \"lower end\" (I got it for $99 bundled with the wild and crazy Craig Anderton guitars) but I really like the \"Wizoo Platinum Grand 24\". I use mostly the \"Grand Natural RES XXL\" sample set (almost exclusively). I\'m using it in HALion (going into Cubase SX) and I\'m not sure if there are versions for other samplers.

You can hear any of three \"Piano Improvisations\" (titled \"Waiting\", \"Hope\" and \"Solitude\" respectively) here on AcidPlanet (where they are # 9, 10 and #11 in that listing). Be aware that these are mostly 56K or 64K WMA files (by default) and that if you want to hear the higher quality MP3, you need to download them.

You can also find those three pieces on my Ampcast page (where they are also #9, 10 and 11 in the listing from the top). There you can use the GREEN \"HiFi\" button and stream the 160 K MP3 files directly.

i hope this helps ... kev [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum