• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help! Major headaches with Audio Capture

Share/Bookmark

Help! Major headaches with Audio Capture

Hi All,

I\'m using Giga 2.20.42 with Cubase VST/32 5.1, but this may apply to other sequencers as well. The problem I\'m experiencing is pretty major, so I\'m hoping I\'m just overlooking something.
    I have no problem actually capturing audio files in GigaStudio when I start playback at the beginning of the sequence in Cubase. The problem is that the sync feature *only* seems to work when you have the Cubase sequence start at the actual beginning of the song...say I have a little french horn part or something that comes in five minutes into the song...I can\'t seem to get GigaStudio to start recording with the Audio Capture if I start playback before the horn phrase near the end of the song. Very annoying!
    This leaves with me with two options, both of which are lousy. 1) drag the phrase to the beginning of the sequence, record the snippet, import the audio file, and then try to try to line up the audio file accordingly. This is useless to me because if there are any tempo changes underneath the section you wish to record (at measure 50), there\'s obviously going to be major problems when you drag that section back to measure 1 and the underlying tempos are completely different. The audio capture file will reflect the tempo changes at measure 1 rather than measure 50 and the entire section will be messed up. For stuff with fixed tempos, it\'s do-able, but still a major hassle.
    2) Leave the horn part where it is, waste a lot of time by recording five minutes of audio silence, leave the silence in the wave file (thereby wasting a lot of disk space) or edit out the silence in an audio editor and try to line up the audio file accordingly (thereby wasting a lot of time doing the edits and trying to get everything to line up the way it should).
    So, does anyone know a workaround? There has to be a way to trigger the audio capture record function at times other than measure 1. Thanks for your time!

Regards,
    Scott

Re: Help! Major headaches with Audio Capture

ummmm....anyone? help? Please?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Speed:
    [B]Hi All,

<snip>
    The problem is that the sync feature *only* seems to work when you have the Cubase sequence start at the actual beginning of the song...say I have a little french horn part or something that comes in five minutes into the song...I can\'t seem to get GigaStudio to start recording with the Audio Capture if I start playback before the horn phrase near the end of the song. Very annoying!
    <snip>

Hi Scott
    Why not start the capture manually first
    and then the sequencer - You\'ll have to
    cut a bit of silence afterwards but that\'s
    no big deal.

Bjk

Hi Bjk,

Because that would mean I\'d still have to edit the audio for each and every track, and then try to realign each segment with the rest of the piece. That\'s a tremendous waste of time.
    In Cubase, if I could just drop the cursor one measure before the part I wanted to capture, hit play (thereby triggering the GigaStudio capture) and stop right after, the corresponding audio file could simply be imported and dropped right at the same measure I had intially started playback from. It would all be pefectly synced, and you wouldn\'t have to record an entire track full of silence to get one little part.
    But if the start time of the Giga capture is random rather than triggered, everything will be way off.

Regards,
    Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sapkiller:
    Hi Scott
    Why not start the capture manually first
    and then the sequencer - You\'ll have to
    cut a bit of silence afterwards but that\'s
    no big deal.

Bjk
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not a Cubase thing, I\'ve got the same problem with Logic Audio.

hi scott
    I get the picture.
    The problem is that Gigastudio capture only
    responds to start/stop midicommands and your
    Cubase transmit the Continue command.
    However I have 2 suggestions for a
    work around:

1. In some sequencers, eg. cakewalk, you
    have have the option to
    always transmit Start instead of
    Continue - I don\'t know if Cubase offers
    this facility.

2. If Cubase has the ability to send Start
    commands explicit, via some sort of Meta
    event, you can insert such an event in
    your track just where you wan\'t to start
    capture.

let me know if it works out.
    Bjk

What a PITA.

I just switched back to Cubase from Logic.
    I can\'t believe that option isn\'t available.
    I\'m off to the Cubase forum to see if anyone knows.

Go Back to forum