• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Posting a Piece

Share/Bookmark

Posting a Piece

Well, I have never done this anywhere, so I don\'t really now how to do it.

I have a 2 1/2 minute (mostly) GPO demo I\'d like to post here, but not sure how to do it. I made a quicktime version of it that is 21 megs. Seems a little large for only 2 1/2 minutes. It is stereo 44.1 khz.

Where/how would I post it like I have seen others do within a post?

Re: Posting a Piece

MP3 files (at a rate of 128K or 160K) are much more compact than QuickTime. See if your software allows you to do as \"Save As ...\" and then look for the choice of MP3 filetype. (Chances are that it does and you can specify the 128 or 160 rate there.)

You can set up an \"artist\" account for free at www.AcidPlanet.com (for one place). Although that site specializes in \"loopers\" and music normally associated with ACID and SoundForge, they will host anything once you set up a Profile. (They do require that the default format for any song is \".WMA\", so you will want to check that you can output (or convert) that format as well as MP3. (WHen you make a WMA file, the suggest rate is at 56 K, which is most accessible for dial-up users.)

Then you can provide a link to your masterpiece like this one to my \"Forest Murmurings\" .

i hope this helps ... kev

Really? Is it that difficult to just put up a demo here on the GPO Forum. I don\'t really want to set up a whole website, just a piece to share with people, get some feedback and learn how to do this. As much as I am a music/computer nut, I really have very little experience downloading/uploading music.

I went to your website and it looks great! I couldn\'t hear anything as it said my browser needed some app. (I am running a relatively old MAC with a relatively old version of Netscape.)

Anyway, I can hear all of the files on this forum. They just come as about a 1 meg file that open up in Quicktime.

Thanks for the help, and I\'d love to hear some of your music.

paul

dubaifox,
    Hi! Am I seeing correctly? You\'re using Pro Tools 6.4 002? Have you had any trouble opening more than on midi track per project? I can\'t seem to get by the problem. Sorry, I don\'t mean to intrude on your subject and I have had the same problem in the past. There are those who are willing to help. Unfortunately, my website will not be ready till June.

One Midi Track?!?! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Do you mean in GPO or in everything?

Either way, PT 6.4, OS 10.3.3 and my 002R Rocks. Very stable. Though it does not work very well with GPO.

This Demo I\'d like to post, has one instance of GPO with seven instruments. It seems like if I push it beyond that, it will freeze, then sit their and click at me until I quit the session and re-open it.

I hear some of the demos other people have done and am Gobsmacked at how many intruments they can get.

I had to go to my synths for a string patch and harp sound because I just didn\'t seem to be able to squeeze any more than seven voices (1 instance of GPO)

Waiting for the new Kontack Player for MAC that is supposed to improve performance......waiting.......STILL waiting....................... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Check your PM... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

dubaifox,

You could email it to me and I would be happy to host and post it. 21 MB for a 2.5 minute piece seems like its uncompressed. It may be best to compress it in an mp3 format.

Gary Garritan

iTunes will convert it to mp3, it does an okay job and is easy to use.

I don\'t ordinarily plug commercial sites, but many places are hosting domains now at very competitive prices. I recently wanted to set up \"www.KevinTweedy.net\" (\"www.KevinTweedy.com\" was taking by another Kevin Tweedy -- would you believe I once checked online and there are 19 in the US alone!?).

Many places have inexpensive web hosting by I found the gangbuster of all deals (in the US, at any rate) at www.PowWeb.com -- $7.77 per month (payable by quarter or other longer-term payment, including one year which gives you 14 months for about $94 -- or roughly $6.71 per month) AND THAT INCLUDES: 1,000 MB disk space (PLENTY of room for all those MP3 files you want to post) and something like 5 Gig of traffic per day. Also includes the FrontPage extensions and you basically manage your site yourself (with a few email addresses tossed in).

I have no fiduciary interest in PowWeb.com, but figured if folks are looking for hosting they might want to check it out! You can also ask google.com for \"web hosting\" and see if you come up with a better deal. (The clincher for me was the 1 gig of disk space and 5 GIG traffic per day -- most of the comparable deals were 150 Meg and 5 or 10 GIG traffix per MONTH!)

onward! kev [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    You could email it to me and I would be happy to host and post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Gary!

I compressed it within Itunes to MP3 and emailed it to your gary@harps.com address. It is entitled \'Space Aria\" and wrote it to learn GPO with.

I appreciate it.

Go Back to forum