• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: Dp3 and Kontakt

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Dp3 and Kontakt

    I got Dp3 and want to use Kontakt as a Vst. I know there is Vst Wrapper but never use it and before purchase it and Kontakt I need to know is there is any problems for using both.
    Anybody can help on that?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Dp3 and Kontakt

    my recollection is that kontakt works a lot better in standalone mode with the audio piped into dp3 than as a vst. it works as a vst, but there is some weird interface bug that causes the vst to jump around a lot. at least that was the case the last time i used it. if there is a newer version of kontakt for os9, maybe they fixed that. i think i was using 1.2.

    sorry to be so vague. maybe you can go to NI\'s site and post/search their archives.

  3. #3

    Post Re: Dp3 and Kontakt

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfen
    I got Dp3 and want to use Kontakt as a Vst. I know there is Vst Wrapper but never use it and before purchase it and Kontakt I need to know is there is any problems for using both.
    Anybody can help on that?

    Thanks!
    I'm replying because I have DP4 and am thinking about upgrading to DP5. I have, at the moment, a great problem with DP and Kontact: the "change velocity command" in DP doesn't affect the volume of the strings, woodwinds and brass ensembles in Kontact (although it will with solo instruments, keyboards and percussion). Without this capability the combination of DP and Kontact is almost useless to me because to have an effective piece of music you have to be able to vary the volume and I've come to depend on this easy way of doing things with the "change velocity" command which will change the volumes of a single note or an entire piece either by adding, subtracting, leveling or making smooth dimuendos or crescendos over longer passages. The only other way of going about things, it seems, to me is program the mixing board faders of DP or manually manipulate the mod wheel on either my actual keyboard or the virtual Kontact player - very, very cumbersome. In other words, it looks like Kontact doesn't work entirely well as a plug-in. I have, over the past couple of months contacted Gary Garritan, Native Instruments and MOTU none of whom have been able to solve or sometimes even recognize the problem (am I being too inarticulate?). Gary Garritan in fact told me that I was the only one to notice it to date. I am contacting the Forum in the hopes that someone might help, and if it is the case that DP and Kontact are not entirely compatible, I hope to get some suggestions as to what sequencing program might be able to sucessfuly do what DP4 can't seem to do with Kontact (I might mention that I have no trouble at all with DP4 and my older sound modules so I'm inclined to think that the problem might lie with Kontact). Any thoughts or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated. Thx OJ

  4. #4

    Re: Dp3 and Kontakt

    Quote Originally Posted by orijames
    the "change velocity command" in DP doesn't affect the volume of the strings, woodwinds and brass ensembles in Kontact (although it will with solo instruments, keyboards and percussion).
    Yesterday, I decided to load GPO into the Mac just to see just how bad it actually is with GPO because some people complain about loading only a few voices. I created a new project and played some chords, and assigned that midi track to piano, harpsichord, full organ and full strings. No problems at all. Then I created a separate midi track with some glissandi, and assigned this track to glissando harp 1. During the second gliss, the cpu maxed out and cut out, HOLY COW! My Mac is a dual 1 ghz processor with 2 gigs of ram. All I can say is, I am very glad my GPO runs on a separate PC, it flys on it. Seriously folks, PC's are cheap, get one and take the load off the Mac. Let the Mac run DP, you will be so much happier. I realize this means spending more money.

    Anyway, back to the "change velocity" dilema. I tried the "Change Velocity" on some strings in DP 4.12 and it did indeed make the change to the notes, I only tried it on strings just to see if you have a unique problem there. Just wanted to let you know.

    DPDan

  5. #5

    Re: Dp3 and Kontakt

    Hi Elfen,

    Audio Ease do a VST wrapper for DP. As mentioned, it does weird things to Kontakt's interface, but it does work (although it REALLY slows down any attempt at editing Kontakt). There's a demo you can try on their website http://www.audioease.com . Stand alone under OS 9 works fine, but it will only support 1 instance. I had it set up in OS 9 using both methods so I could spread out the RAM allocation. Just a word of warning - the latest version of Kontakt 1.5 for OS 9 doesn't support MAS, so you won't be able to use it with DP. Version 1.2 is still available though.

    Kontakt works fine as a plug-in in DP4 (OSX). You can have as many instances as your machine will allow, although each instance can only have 2 outputs.

    Hth.

    Andy.

  6. #6

    Re: Dp3 and Kontakt

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Yesterday, I decided to load GPO into the Mac just to see just how bad it actually is with GPO because some people complain about loading only a few voices. I created a new project and played some chords, and assigned that midi track to piano, harpsichord, full organ and full strings. No problems at all. Then I created a separate midi track with some glissandi, and assigned this track to glissando harp 1. During the second gliss, the cpu maxed out and cut out, HOLY COW! My Mac is a dual 1 ghz processor with 2 gigs of ram. All I can say is, I am very glad my GPO runs on a separate PC, it flys on it. Seriously folks, PC's are cheap, get one and take the load off the Mac. Let the Mac run DP, you will be so much happier. I realize this means spending more money.

    Anyway, back to the "change velocity" dilema. I tried the "Change Velocity" on some strings in DP 4.12 and it did indeed make the change to the notes, I only tried it on strings just to see if you have a unique problem there. Just wanted to let you know.

    DPDan
    Dan - Did you try "change velocity" of DP command on solo strings or on a string ensemble (for example: vln 1 lush)? The command in fact does work with all the solo instruments in Kontact as well as the keyboards and percussion, but I still can't make it work with any of the string, brass or woodwind ensembles. How did you do it? I have GOP and GOP Studio installed and have experimented with all the controllers in Kontact with no results. Remember, we are only talking about groups (or ensembles) of strings, winds and brasses - not solo string, wind or brass instruments. Any suggstions you (or anyone else) might want to offer would be most gratefully received. Thx OJ

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •