• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Pleasant Hello

A Pleasant Hello

Good day everyone! I think the the gods were in my favor this week as I have been having the best of luck with my new found interest and soon to be passion of composition, they couldn\'t have directed me to a better site! First a little background about myself: I\'ve been playing instruments for the last 10 years, starting out with clarinet all the way through high school and switching to classical guitar when I came to college, though I\'m still wet behind the ears in that field because sadly I\'ve only had time to make guitar a hobby rather than a major. Currently I\'m in the process of designing my own major and will be combining sound engineering and music theory with a bit of digital film production, not quite sure what I\'ll be calling this major yet but we\'ll see! Anyway, I am quite looking forward to one day working in a film scoring studio and a bit of composing on the side, perhaps interactive composition for games and the like. I\'m slowly building up a nice newcomers DAW setup and have the following items:

Apple PowerBook G4
    M-Audio Keystation 49e MIDI Controller
    Echo IndigoIO Sound Card
    Sennheiser HD 280 Silver Headphones
    GarageBand (with Jam Pack)

I am very curious to know if Personal Orchestra will work with my copy of GarageBand as this will be my next purchase in my pursuit of composition software. I\'ve read so many good things about this library and after listening to the demos I cannot wait to try it out for myself! Also, I was just wondering what a good monitor system would be to invest in less than $500. I\'m looking to turn my dorm room next year into a nice little composition shop. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I look forward to becoming a part of the community and can\'t wait to receive my copy of GPO!

PS: I go to Orcas Island at least once a summer, I attend WWU and it\'s so close who wouldn\'t go? It\'s so beautiful there!

Re: A Pleasant Hello

You have certainly found the place to be! You\'ll find no better set of people always eager to lend advice and support.
    Since I no nothing about laptops or Mac I am going to let the pros advise you there. I just wanted to take time to welcome you to the forum!

West Seneca, NY

Welcome and make yourself right at home. Sorry, I am not familiar with your system needs but sit tight, the pros will be right with you~! Just wanted to say hello in return and your in the right place for all your compositional needs.
    But let me forewarn you! I have been know to be a little crazy at times. It\'s my way I communicate with everyone so the atmosphere stays alive! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Happy GPOing!

Orcas Island

A warm welcome to you Acoustica!

I\'m happy to have a close neighbor here. Western has a fantastic music department. As you know, you can see Orcas Island across the straits from Western (and I can see the campus from Mt. Constitution).

For monitors, in a dorm room you could look at the Edirol MA-10D. You may be able to check them out in Thinkware in Bellingham (just a few miles from campus). They have other monitors too.

GPO will work within GarageBand. I\'ve just posted a tutorial at: http://www.garritan.com/garageband_tutorial.html

Next time you\'re on Orcas Island, please stop by GPO Central. It would be nice to meet you. Thanks for being part of the GPO community.

Gary Garritan

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I\'m glad to see that GPO will work just fine in GarageBand as I\'m going to wait another year or so to invest in a more robust system. Also I\'ll definitely take a trip down to Thinkware this weekend, thanks for the recommendation! I did have one question though in regards to GPO. I am wondering if there are any plans to add a vocal section to the current library? I would love to be able to add some ooo\'s and ahh\'s to my pieces in the future. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS: I\'ll be around Orcas most likely in August doing some biking, I\'ll let you know when I\'ll be in around your parts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was asking the same question a few months ago about monitors, but then I came to a sharp realization that the monitors were the part I actually listen to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I listened to a LOT of monitors, and the KRK 6s were OK, but I ended up with a pair of Mackie HR624s. I am utterly delighted with them.

Go Back to forum