• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Who Is Willing To Sacrifice?

Share/Bookmark

Who Is Willing To Sacrifice?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I want to take an informal, unscientific little poll here because I\'m curious about something.

You have to be brutally honest to answer.

My premise is simple: most of those of us reading this live in relative luxury compared to the vast majority of people in the world.

Here\'s the question.

If it would make a real difference in the world to bring economic equality to others, what would you be willing to sacrifice of what you have? In other words, what would you be willing to give up in terms of your standard of living - not just for the short term - but for the rest of your life?

5%
    10%
    25%
    50%
    more

I\'m not interested in arguments about the politics of social and economic justice.

I\'m really just interested in our motives.

Thanks,
    Jim Mccarthy

Re: Who Is Willing To Sacrifice?

We are already contributing about half of everything to insurance and taxes of all sorts. (more if we include hidden taxes) We live very frugally and there is nothing extra so my answer is a bit giant \"ZERO\" at this point. We live decently but not in luxury or extravagantly. Any sacrifices that we can make are not realistic. To live any cheaper, we would have to move to a crime ridden area of town and give up driving and take the bus. Here in Austin, that would be a 4 hour commute each day that I currently do in 5 minutes. I can\'t afford to spend that time not earning hourly pay and I can\'t cough up 4 hours of sleep either.
    Stuff like that.

Zero at this point. I\'ve been sucked dry long enough over the years.

Cheers
    Dave

yep you really hit it on the head

that is why i posted the \" are you sure it wasnt about oil\" post

if it comes to the crunch and we have to , to survive, well its an interesting scenario,

but very hard to answer on a personal level

because 10% of $100 is not the same as 10% of $100,000,000

so the person with the smallest income is giving up much more relative to his wealth

I think we give about 3-5 per cent to charities, etc., at this point (wife and I).

Interesting to note that the average spread between exec income and man-on-shop-floor income in Canada and the US has gone from 40/1 to 200/1 in only twenty years. Incredible. Are CEOs and CFOs really that much more productive now? And I wonder how much THEY give? They\'re certainly good at taking.

JG

[ QUOTE ]
    Here in Austin, that would be a 4 hour commute each day that I currently do in 5 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify. You can\'t drive 4 blocks in Austin in 20 min. I grew up in Houston and I\"M TERRIFIED to drive in Austin.

Dave, I knew you had your own chopper! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brian

Good point, Charles.

Jim

\"Are CEOs and CFOs really that much more productive now? And I wonder how much THEY give?\"

To be fair....
    Many of them give a ton of their money to their tax exempt \"foundations\" Many give alot of their money away to charities and communities and still have an obscene amount left to live on. Some however are quite selfish I\'m sure but even they have to cough up to charities or foundations if they don\'t want to send it to the IRS. They don\'t sacrifice to do this kind of contribution though. For most of us to contribute a smaller percent of our incomes is much harder to do.

\"Just to clarify. You can\'t drive 4 blocks in Austin in 20 min. I grew up in Houston and I\"M TERRIFIED to drive in Austin.\"

It takes me 5 minutes to get from home to the Fat Studios where I work, 15-20 minutes to get to Tascam/NemeSys HQ. (by toyota corolla, not a chopper)

I tested it and tried to take the bus to the Fat Studios and it took a couple hours between waiting and tranfering & waiting some more, not to mention walking several blocks to the first stop. I could shave a half hour off that if I timed things right but just randomly walking up to the stop and waiting, 2 hours at least.

\"Dave, I knew you had your own chopper!\"

I prefer to call it a fully equiped \"Black Hellicopter\" I could buzz Alex Jones house and freak him out with it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    If it would make a real difference in the world to bring economic equality to others, what would you be willing to sacrifice of what you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that giving up our resources to others will not bring about economic equality. While imperfect, out system of liberal democracy, individual liberty, and property rights are why our country is prosperous. Unfortunately, these things cannot be exported or given away, which is one reason I feel that democracy won\'t work in Iraq. The people and governments in the poor nations of the world have to make the appropriate incremental steps towards freedom, both politically and economically before economic equity can even begin to occur.

My opinion is that we\'re not in the wrong for doing well, but many countries are in the shape they\'re in because their socio-economic worldviews and constructs prevent their improvement.

I\'d be willing to give up driving a car if my local community offered things that I consider vital for happy survival...

I wouldn\'t mind giving up on communications technology as long as it was replaced by real human interaction.

You could even take my TV away as long as I get to keep my network connection....
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

wes37:
    [ QUOTE ]
    The problem is that giving up our resources to others will not bring about economic equality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. Well, actually, it will bring about “equality” – equal poverty for all. For instance, if we simply ship massive tons of foodstuffs from the US to poorer nations, this has several negative effects:

1. It impoverishes those from whom the foodstuffs are being taken (whether this be the farmer who goes uncompensated, or the taxpayer who subsidizes the farmer’s loss).

2. Since it has the above negative effect on the producer, production will suffer, leading to an even lower food supply.

3. Since foodstuffs are being provided free or at extremely low prices, struggling farmers, etc, often in poor “developing” countries, are further impoverished because they cannot sell their goods because they can’t compete with the subsidized goods.

So who wins? Arguably, the recipients win a small, fleeting and temporary gain. But the biggest winner is the State as it gains greater control and power as it exerts more authority and gains more dependents. Often the biggest losers will be the poor and struggling. And often the intended recipients of the goods will also be the biggest losers in the deal because the countries receiving them are usually poor because their government is corrupt. So, predictably, the corrupt regimes receiving the aid will simply keep most of it for themselves and make a profit from it instead of passing it on to those starving for whom it was intended. As this is often the case, essentially nobody wins.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast