• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone know if I can add MIDI ports this way?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone know if I can add MIDI ports this way?

When I updated to my G5 I also had to upgrade my MIDI interface to a USB based interface. So I got an Emagic AMT8. However, my system is growing faster then I am, so I\'m trying to figure out a better way to get 4 MIDI ports from my G5 to my Giga Machine. I\'m wanting to link my old MTP AV via the serial port to my new AMT8. But something isn\'t wanting to talk. Can anyone confirm if this can be done or if the AMT\'s can only link with other Emagic interfaces? Thanks

J-

Re: Does anyone know if I can add MIDI ports this way?

[ QUOTE ]
    When I updated to my G5 I also had to upgrade my MIDI interface to a USB based interface. So I got an Emagic AMT8. However, my system is growing faster then I am, so I\'m trying to figure out a better way to get 4 MIDI ports from my G5 to my Giga Machine. I\'m wanting to link my old MTP AV via the serial port to my new AMT8. But something isn\'t wanting to talk. Can anyone confirm if this can be done or if the AMT\'s can only link with other Emagic interfaces? Thanks

J-

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I think it\'s best to keep it to the same family. With USB, at least in XP, you don\'t network like you used to. So you could have different USB MIDI interfaces. But for best performance, I would stay with the AMT or the Unitor. Also, keep in mind that with GS3, there will be 8 MIDI ports, not four.

Re: Does anyone know if I can add MIDI ports this way?

Emagic\'s and MOTU\'s MIDI interface networking schemes are proprietary. I can confirm that it doesn\'t work.

(The exception to them being proprietary is that I remember reading once that one of the old Opcode interfaces could network to a MTP, but that may not be true.)

Meanwhile, the Mac version of FX Teleport is due out one of these days. And Mike Smith of Coyote R&D has MIDI going back and forth over a network.

Go Back to forum