• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Having a Ball with GPO ...

Share/Bookmark

Having a Ball with GPO ...

HI Gang,

Among other things, I\'ve played tuba in concert/marching bands, and then for some years we had a dixieland jazz band - piano player was a mail man, clarinet an insurance salesman, banjo an engineer, trumpet a landscape gardener, trombone a corporate executive, with me on tuba. We got paid nothing, but took a \'dead\' evening at the local tavern into a standing room only Wednesday night affair. By the end of the evening, the front of our little stage was lined with pitchers of free beer. We had a ball. On more than one occassion I think our bandmembers were less than fully productive the next day. But at least we were stress free....

This morning I was working on an arrangement of an upbeat latin/calypso piece, and decided to fire up my WX-5 wind controller to try the GPO tuba. Wow, worked great. I was instantly transported to one of those many nameless Wednesday nights. Unavoidably, my calypso piece started taking on a decidedly dixieland feel. Oh well. But, boy am I having fun. GPO is just wonderful for wind controller play. I think a dixieland jazz piece will be next on my list - our \'theme-piece\' used to be \"Just a Closer Walk With Thee\". Sugar Blues was also high on the list.

And man, did I ever get a shock when I fired up gigastudio, to use some Quantum Leap Brass, SAM brass in the piece. Having been using GPO so much, it was a total shock to be faced with the zillion articulation choices. Which trombone patch? Which mics? And on and on. GPO does not get in the way of the workflow, but Gigastudio sure does. The juxtaposition is a shock.

Trond

Re: Having a Ball with GPO ...

[ QUOTE ]
    decided to fire up my WX-5 wind controller to try the GPO tuba

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi! Sounds like your having a great time! This is interesting using a wind controller with GPO. I\'m pretty sure Gary and his team have been developing a big band add on and I was wondering if this particular controller would be usefull for sax as well? I played alto sax for a number of years attending college and felt a wind controller would be very usefull. I am not familiar with wind controllers is this a Yamaha?
    Nice to have you aboard and are we going to hear a sample of your music soon? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you have played sax, you would be able to pick up the WX-5 (Yamaha) very, very quickly - I have mine set up for sax fingering(it\'s fingering is programmable, via dipswitches in the body). The combination of the sax and a physical modeling sound module like the VL-70m (also Yamaha) will expand your musical world by at least a light year or two. You can play very credible trumpet, saxes, distortion guitar, basses, and string instruments on it. If you haven\'t seen one, the WX-5 looks like a space-age electronic clarinet. It blows people away to hear me playing violin on it ...

You can hear some pre-GPO music of mine at http://www.mediamusicproductions.com/Gifts%20from%20the%20Ocean.htm

I\'ve been harping on Gary to include a wind controller setup (remapping cc2 to cc1) in the GPO player. GPO is - right out of the box - set up superbly for wind controller play.

Trond

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'ve been harping on Gary..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is great to know. I feel the more tools you have to input data into your computer, the better. I\'d love to be able to play the wind parts on a WX-5.

Does the mod wheel repond to you breath?

Attack respond to your tounguing>

If it did, this would be an AMAZING tool. I\'d buy one tomorrow.

I\'m glad you are having so much fun. Me too. I only have a BC3 running through my EX5 (which has VL inside). I have a blast using it with GPO! With Dan\'s great midi plugin, and Sonar 3 P, I can convert breath CCs to CC1 in real time. I need to try it with the tuba.

John

[ QUOTE ]
    And man, did I ever get a shock when I fired up gigastudio, to use some Quantum Leap Brass, SAM brass in the piece. Having been using GPO so much, it was a total shock to be faced with the zillion articulation choices. Which trombone patch? Which mics? And on and on. GPO does not get in the way of the workflow, but Gigastudio sure does. The juxtaposition is a shock.

Trond

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hi Trond. I used to find the larger libraries overwhelming too. Then I devoted an afternoon (one time) with each library auditioning the different articulations. I took a few notes and kept them handy. I then copied my favorites to a \"most used\" folder and call them up in Halion. Once this is done, it simple to grab only the articulations that are not easily obtainable in GPO, and do it without interrupting your workflow.

For example, I mostly use GOS now for \"special\" needs like the violin effects, slides, etc. which are hard or impossible to simulate with programming. I have all of the SAM libraries too, but I mostly use them for a few articulations and the interval samples. The actual note intervals performed by a real horn section can add a lot of life and realism to a composition.

Have fun!

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I\'ve been harping on Gary..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is great to know. I feel the more tools you have to input data into your computer, the better. I\'d love to be able to play the wind parts on a WX-5.

Does the mod wheel repond to you breath?

Attack respond to your tounguing>

If it did, this would be an AMAZING tool. I\'d buy one tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

The WX-5 is the amazing tool you describe. It computes note-on velocity from the attack of your note (I think it computes the first derivative of the breath controller curve to get this), and sends cc2 according to how hard you blow. Once you have a cc2 to cc1 translator - like the sonar plug, or like the consoles in Digital Performer, or the transformers in Logic - your breath essential outputs \'mod wheel\'. You can get very realistic performances with this controller.

A WX-5 also has many other controls,like a bi-directional thumb rocker (I use mine for modulation, or simulated vibrato), and a \'reed\' which outputs pitch bend, and some keyswitches for controlling different effects. Just like a real instrument, you need to pay attention to play on pitch. The benefit is that you get the natural \'scoops\' and pitch effects that are associated with real live playing ....

Trond

Very cool!

I will have to get one.

However, I was just searching the internet and only came up with Yamaha EX-7 and EX-11. It seems a EX-5 is a synthesizer?

Can you still buy these? Which model is the best?

Anybody tried the Akai Wind Jammer?

The Yamaha EX5 is a Synth with a Breath Controller port (breath controller purchased separately). Not made anymore but I wouldn\'t trade it for anything. It has VL, AWM, AN, and FDSP sounds. The EX7 was the lite version. I don\'t know what the EX11 is! It is the only keyboard I use besides my old MS-20 synth sitting on top of it. As limited as the BC3 is compared to the WX-5 I still have fun with it (I never played a wind instrument so the WX-5 scares me!).

John

Gifts from the Ocean? For crying out loud! I would give anything to have just a week in an area you picture on your site! Beautiful site! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I’m sorry; I didn\'t mention the music samples. Nice! Excuse me but I am a deprived Northerner who loves warm weather, sandy beaches, blue skies, and anything not related to SNOW!

Go Back to forum