• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CONFUSED! why two different shortcuts to GPO

Share/Bookmark

CONFUSED! why two different shortcuts to GPO

I have only had GPO for a little over a month, and when I installed it, two different shortcuts appeared on the desktop of Windows XP. The orange logo, (Garritan Personal Orchestra) only has access for one Kontakt player. The other logo that shows a director in front of an orchestra (Personal Orchestra Studio), does give access to all eight Kontakt players. When I load the first one (orange) everything works great. When I need more than eight instruments, which is all the time, I would have to use the second shortcut, and then midi is not recognized. Also, the first shortcut has \"FILE\" in the upper left hand corner, when I click on FILE, I select setup, and then an \"audio setup\" window appears and adjustments for soundcard, routing and midi can all be altered. I cannot find any of these settings when I load Personal Orchestra Studio.
    GPO has literally changed my life, for the better I might add. Two months ago, I received a free Yamaha KX88. This past November, I decided to finally get a Mac G4 dual 1 ghz computer with two gigs of Ram and Digital Performer to start mixing my studio stuff. After receiving a free KX88, I figured I had to get some decent sounds, so I choose GPO to start with. I dove in head first with midi programming on Digital Performer. I read alot of information about midi on the net to familiarize myself with midi. I am an audio engineer by trade that has only three weeks of piano lessons at the age of seven, and I am just now starting to make my own music. I still have a lot to learn, but who doesn\'t? I just completed my first song with GPO this weekend. I don\'t have a website where I can post the MP3, so I am sending a CD to Gary and hopefully he can post it for me so you can all have a listen. I think most of you will like it. It does have a vocal. I ended up using 27 midi tracks and 49 stereo audio tracks in Digital Performer. Please help me understand these two shortcuts..... if you know what I\'m talking about.

This is what I am using.
    Thanks alot everybody!

Mac G4 dual 1.0 ghz 2 gig ram running DP3.1
    Motu 828MKII audio interface for DP
    Motu Micro Midi Express
    Dell 4600 3.06 ghz. 1 gig ram running GPO
    RME Hammerfall HDSP9652 soundcard in the Dell, adat #1 lightpipe out of the RME into the 828, word clock connection from the 828 to the RME card. A midi output of the Micro Express is connnected to the midi in 1 of the RME card.

Re: CONFUSED! why two different shortcuts to GPO

why don\'t you just ask someone in the forum who has a little webspace for you ???

you don\'t need to send out a cd to gary to let him post for you. i mean this is nice in terms of the gesture to him, to send him the cd, but it would be much easier to just send the song per email to a forum member who is willing to post it. that\'s it !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

DPDAN,

[ QUOTE ]
    The orange logo, (Garritan Personal Orchestra) only has access for one Kontakt player...

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is the stand alone version of GPO Kontact Player...only one instance with the ability to hear midi from your keyboard.

[ QUOTE ]
    The other logo that shows a director in front of an orchestra (Personal Orchestra Studio), does give access to all eight Kontakt players...

[/ QUOTE ]
    GPO Studio is a VST Host hardcoded for eight instances of GPO Player and one instance of Garritan Ambience reverb. GPO Studio is designed to work in concert (get it) with notation programs such as Overture, Sibelius, or Finale, and listens for midi coming from these applications, provided you\'ve got them configured correctly to send to GPO Studio.

Thanks guys, Alex that\'s a good idea, but this song is almost six minutes long, I doubt my email will allow that large of a file, I would still like for Gary to have the CD of it though. Thanks for your reply, and Glenn, thank you for your explanation, so what you are saying is..... I cannot use the eight players without a notation program like you mentioned? Is that right? Thanks alot!

[ QUOTE ]
    I cannot use the eight players without a notation program like you mentioned? Is that right? Thanks alot!

[/ QUOTE ]

You won\'t need more than 1 player without a notation program, though. But that\'s only my humble opinion. Also keep in mind that with the bundled Cubasis, or actually any sequencer you can have mutiple instances of GPO, too.

There are other ways to connect your midi keyboard, for instance, to GPO Studio using Virtual Midi Cable type programs. I\'ve never had to try it, as I use Finale to feed GPO Studio. I know it\'s possible, but I also know some users run into system problems, so I would wait for some advice from Gary, Alan or especially Jeff Hurchalla, author of Maple Midi Tools and Maple Virtual Midi Cable.

Hi Pete, I am using Digital Performer, and the song I just finished has 27 midi tracks. It would have been nice not to have to print (record) everything to audio tracks. When you get further into a project, sometimes a track needs to be changed. That part of the printed/recorded track now has to be re-recorded and the sound has to be reloaded in order to replace the old part. A hassel yes, but certainly still cheaper than re-scheduling a symphony session. I\'m now listening to David Foster\'s symphony sessions, perhaps my favorite music. Back to the issue, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] my RME soundcard has three adat outputs for a total of 24 sounds that could run \"live\" from the Kontakt players. I am limited to running 32 midi channels because the RME card has only two midi inputs. I hope someone can tell me if it is possible.
    Glenn, thanks again, my keyboard is always connected to the Micro express and feeds DP. I never use it connected directly to the PC/GPO.
    I still don\'t know if I can use the players in the Garritan Personal Studio.

Dpdan,
    I think you\'ll probably be able to do everything you want inside digital performer, without ever using the (one player) stand-alone application or the (eight player) GPO Studio.

In digital performer, just add a Garritan Personal Orchestra audio-units virtual instrument to your project. A single GPO audio unit allows you to send eight of your midi tracks to this audio-unit, since the user-interface lets you load eight different instruments. Obviously only eight tracks wouldn\'t be enough, since you have 27 midi tracks! So just load another three Garritan Personal Orchestra audio-unit into your project... With 4 GPO audio units in your project, you should be able to play all 27 tracks simultaneously, if you have enough memory and CPU. Hope this helps

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for your response. I am getting the feeling that I am the only one using Digital Performer around these parts (pun), It sounds like you are at least familiar with Digital Performer. Since DP is running in the Mac G4, I am using the Dell PC for GPO. How do I get a GPO \"AU\" into DP? Thanks alot! I appreciate you and your time.

Hi Dpdan,

I use GPO on a Mac and DP with no problem except for the load that seems to swamp the CPU when running too many instruments. If you run GPO and DP all on your Mac, I might be able to help, but I’m not at all familiar with the workings of the “Dark Side”. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The only person I know on this forum who uses a setup similar to the one you are talking about is Trond. Haven’t seen too many posts by him lately, but if he reads this maybe he’ll respond. He’s really knowledgeable about both sides of the computer kingdom.

In fact I was thinking of setting up a similar system rather than buying a G5, so I would be interested in knowing the best way to link the two computers.

If however you would like to use GPO on your G4 only, please don’t hesitate to tell us and I or someone else will be glad to help.

You can also call Gary at the number in the GPO manual. Perhaps he can give you help using both machines or recommend someone who can.

Best of luck,

Go Back to forum