• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Layering instruments - How?

Share/Bookmark

Layering instruments - How?

I am a little confused (as usual) as to how you layer instruments with GPO. Is this something as simple as mirroring one track with another with the same instrument, or something more techtonic? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Layering instruments - How?

hi styxx,

the best way to layer instruments is to use different libraries...

do an experiment and record your voice and then take exact the same file and copy it to another track below. you hear no difference right ??

but now take one track and move it for 5-10 milliseconds, you will hear a flanging effect in your voice...but its steady all the time

what i wanna say is, that if you want to layer, for example, the legato strings only from gpo (or any other library), it all the time uses the same samples and you get a flanging effect.
    this effect might sound cool somehow but it\'s terrible when doing an orchestra recording.

so if you want to layer instruments, i would suggest you do it with two different libs like gpo and silver, or gpo and opus1, or whatever (please guys, if you answer, don\'t turn this thread into: no i hate silver i don\'t layer it with this, no i hate blabalbla) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

the thing why to take two different libs is, that each of the libs are recorded different and all the players played on each of the library recording sessions play different in terms of feeling, soul, expression and technique.
    so if you double two different libraries you get a really full and rich sound.

to be true nobody cares if the string ensemble get slightly bigger in terms of people, because you just mix the library to enrich the whole sound [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

or to make it more easy, try doubling the string section with solo bass, cello, viola and violins, and mix it slighty beneath the ensemble, this also might help to get a fuller sound...

but don\'t do one mistake:
    don\'t use the same miditracks for layering, play a new miditrack to get a few changes within the midi commands (velocity, changes in timing etc)
    the more untight, the bigger the sound [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (i am talking microtuning [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Hmmm interesting. I Will have to try this tonight.

What is silver?

uhm ... for the guys who don\'t check other forums [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

with silver i ment the EWQLSO Silver Version. I just took it as another library which is nearly in the same price category like GPO ...

i could also have named Edirol Orchestra or AO (Siedlaczek)

but sorry for being a bit unclear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think he was joking.....

there was no smiley behind the words [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i though he might be curious :P

No problem. I appreciate the knowledge. I am still quite new to the digital realm or recording and really just finding out the different libs out there. Thanks very much for the great reply!
    You see, up until a couple of months ago all I had was a keyboard midi to a Roland SC-88. The PC and GPO just came into play recently. It gets overwhelming sometimes but I am learning. I really do appreciate your help.
    Thank you!

I would like to add to Waywyn\'s posting, that with the ensemble building functionality of GPO you could layer e.g. up to 6 Horns playing the same passage without phasing problems. This is neat, and can deliver convincing unisons, given some patience and experience with tweaking/mixing/eqing the whole thing.

Yeah, I think this is more on the line of what I was thinking of. When you say up to six horns, do you mean the same instrument?

Partially, I mean. In GPO, you can have up to 6 Horns, for examble, playing unison without phasing effect. This was achieved by not sharing the same individual samples between the 6 horns. But in fact they were samples from just two solo horns.

But they are 6 different patches, with different pan, eq, etc... if that\'s what you are asking.

Did I clarify something ????

Go Back to forum