• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yamaha GS-1 search ends!

Yamaha GS-1 search ends!

Thanks for everyone\'s help. I found someone in LA who owns 2 of the 100 Yamaha GS-1 s in existence. He\'s a famous rock icon and will be dragging them out of storage next week!! Hopefully we can find the little magnetic sound strips that go with the keyboard, which are crucial. I\'m so excited I can hardly contain myself! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I\'ll let you know what happens.

Re: Yamaha GS-1 search ends!

Awesome news! Brent and Jerry must be smiling somewhere.

Enjoy the flashbacks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Keith Emerson ? Is cape included ?

Out of my Mind

If anybody has two of everything, it\'s gotta be Wakeman. But He\'s probably in London. But he has capes too! Make sure you DO get a cape Nick! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My money\'s on David Paich...

Hi there
    Sorry, I\'ve just stumbled across this thread - too late as usual. Are you referring to the Yamaha GX1 or GS1? I\'ve heard of the former (Fanfare for the Common Man video springs to mind) but not the latter. I LOVE the GX!

The GS-1 from 1981. Only 100 ever made. Very obscure, but sounds like a much more interesting and fat DX-7.

It\'s easier to find GS-2s actually (many more of them made), and they had some additional controls. As I remember from my retail days, the tone was identical and used the same magnetic strip library, but it just lacked the solid wood case.

Apparently, the GS2 only had 2 operators and wasn\'t as flexible or versatile as its big brother. After reading about Nick\'s quest the other day I dug up this old article from SOS written by one of my favourite writers on synths and their secrets, Gordon Reid:

Its well worth a read if you\'re interested in the history of these things.

I\'m kind of hoping we\'re going to see a QuantumLeap GS1 library for commercial release [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think that the diff between the GS1 and 2 was more like the GS1 used two identical sets of operators, so that you could layer sounds - like layering set A with set B. It didn\'t have the option to put four operators into a single algorithm. That means the GS2 could do the same sounds as the GS1, but not layer and detune them. ie it could do the A or the B side of a GS1 sound only.

Go Back to forum