• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 Hard Drives, where should I install XP?

Share/Bookmark

2 Hard Drives, where should I install XP?

All,

I have two hard drives: one is an 60 GB drive with Windows XP installed for all-purpose use, and it is partitioned three times (20 GB each). I also have a 20 GB drive (empty). I am thinking of installing another copy of XP on the second partition of the 60 GB drive for all my music programs (e.g. Gigastudio) and using the 20 GB drive for gigs. Is this what you would recommend with my configuration? If so, when I boot up will I be given a choice as to which operating system I want to launch? This is probably a simple question but I am new at this.

Thanks for the help,
    Titus

Re: 2 Hard Drives, where should I install XP?

It is indeed better to have giga on a seperate drive, and installing windows on another drive can be good as well. The time it has to search for the samples will be shorter than when samples and OS would be on the same disk.
    In your control panel you can select which OS it chooses automatically (they can be on the same disk, as far as I know, but to be sure you could use a different partition) or even how long the screen which let you choose will stay.

Actually, it’s better to have Giga installed with the OS. 20GB partitions are way too small. A 20GB drive is hardly worth bothering with, besides the fact that it’s probably only 5400 rpm

My recommendation would be to re-do the 60GB drive as a single partition for you OS and Apps. Get a 120GB drive for samples.

Well, my 60 GB drive just bit it after 3 years. And the 20GB drive could go any day. So I\'m getting 2 x 120GB Seagate Barracudas and using one for the OS/Giga and the other for samples. Thanks for the advice!

Titus

That\'s truly the Deus Ex Machina !

Correction:
    It is indeed better to have gigs on a seperate drive.

Go Back to forum