• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO strings to GOS strings?

GPO strings to GOS strings?

My wife told me I can order GOS for my birthday. (I have a very cool wife!)[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Unfortunately my birthday isn\'t till July. It isn\'t that I mind waiting, but I wonder what will happen if I keep working with GPO strings, then try to move them over to GOS.

Do the expressive patches in GOS work the same way as they do in GPO?

If I work on some expressive string tracks in GPO, then try to use them on GOS in a couple of months, will they sound OK, or will I have to go back and do them all over? If the latter, I\'d just like to know so I can avoid doing a bunch of pointless work for a while.

Thanks, all.

Re: GPO strings to GOS strings?

I\'m almost sure you will have to redo the tracks, or edit them quite a lot. Think that GOS has many more articulations to play with than GPO, and remember that phrase from Wendy Carlos: \"If you have the possibility to edit a parameter, then you have to do it\". So you will want to add more attack here and there, or use a detache for a phrase. With GOS you can do that, then you must do it.

PS: I wish I had a wife as cool as yours [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Well as a GOSLite Expert (have been using them for almost 2 hours now - ok so I\'m a noob really and note I am talking GOSLite here and not GOS so my comments may be complete bull), and having spent a lot of the time since buying GPO transporting parts scored for EMU Orchestral Strings to GPO (and having to do a lot of re-work and re-performing and soul-searching along the way) I would say there is no substitute for actually performing the line(s) with the instrument/patch you ultimately intend to use. That way you can extract all the nuances that patch has to offer, and plugging in \'replacement\' patches will rarely deliver an improvement in themselves. Also, in GOSLite, the mod wheel does not have any impact on many/most patches and controls things like vibrato and tremelo on some (as well as expression on others) - so your lovingly prepared mod-wheel swells and swirls may come to naught or end up in a sea of unplanned vibrato. So my vote would be use the time between now and your birthday to treat your wife extra-well so that when GOS arrives you will have bought yourself enough brownie points to spend the whole summer buried in your GOS library.

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

GOS(Lite) is double-plus-faboo WONDERFUL! I got it about 6 weeks before GPO and then was lusting for some other high-quality orchestral instruments when I emailed GG and asked if there were any plans to offer the rest of the orchestra with GOS (or simply \"GO\"). He pointed me at GPO which is a most happy compliment to GOS(Lite).

Unfortunately, I haven\'t tried to switch from a GPO string section to a GOS (more often the reverse), but as someone observed above (paraphrasing), \"you\'ve always got parameters to play with\".

i hope this helps ... kev [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[P.S. I understand \"Wendy\" is now \"Walter\" again.]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? Man, that is too weird even for me!

Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe I\'ll just work on wind and brass tracks for a while.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] .... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

- - - [P.S. I understand \"Wendy\" is now \"Walter\" again.] - - -

Are you sure? Nothing on her (his?) website about this.

Hmmm -- did he keep the parts left over from the first change just in case?

(I always do this when I disassemble my audio setup -- sounds like a wise plan here as those are difficult parts to order).

LOL!!! OH Man!

Go Back to forum