• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Peter Gabriel uses PMI Bös290 on World Tour

Share/Bookmark

Peter Gabriel uses PMI Bös290 on World Tour

Peter Gabriel gave a concert here in the Netherlands last week, part of his Growing Up World Tour, and we were there.
    He did 3 wonderful ballads accompanied by solo grand piano only. In preparation of his world tour he searched for the best possible piano sound to be used live and chose the PMI Bosendorfer 290 plug-in over all others.
    Mind you; Peter owns 3 Bösendorfer grand pianos that he uses in his private recording facilities see Realworld studios
    (BTW if you fancy equipment click on the equipment link to get that classic jaw dropping feeling…).
    He purchased and uses the PMI Bos290 plug-in for his live rig. He has Mac Powerbooks for his live samples and some other VSTi’s and they were running fine-as witnessed by many thousands of fans during this tour :-)

It made my day to hear my piano in such an amazing setting!

Re: Peter Gabriel uses PMI Bös290 on World Tour

Wow Michiel! That\'s impressing!!! Congrats!

wow! Congrats man!!

Congrats, but I wonder how the powerbooks performed. I love your library but NI´s DFD is known to perform not too well on Macs (as I and many other users experienced). That´s the only reason why I still use my Kawai MP9000 for my (powerbook supported) live setup (though I would prefer the sound of the PMI Boesendorfer). I hope NI will improve this in future updates.

Hi Raindog,
    The PowerBooks performed very well, indeed. I heard no clicks (sic) in the performance.

Why would you use DFD?
    If you use a Powerbook dedicated for this piano you don’t need it.

The PMI Bos290 dry sounds (most people use the dry samples for live performances) use below 1 GB of samples so there shouldn’t be any problems with DFD because you can leave DFD switched off. We also have included programs that use far less RAM (4 layer, 3 layer and 2 layer pianos).

With maximum memory configured and a fast firewire drive for the samples connected you have a real killer here: very portable, easy to interface (via USB or Firewire) and looking good! Just don\'t attempt to run other software stuff on the same machine. DFD is only needed for the amount of samples you cannot load in RAM. So if you have 1 GB of RAM and run the plug-in as a stand alone instrument (which is normal unless when you want to play live along with your sequencer tracks on one machine) you can expect some spectacular performance from a Powerbook. My tests with Powerbooks were very successful.

BTW, I have confirmation that NI has a new DFD extension (MAC) that was tested very successfully, so watch out for it!

Worra and SCRABEE,
    Thanks guys!

That\'s great! Congrats.

I saw him last year in Mansfield, MA. What a show.

Thanks Matt,
    Yeah, the Growing Up Tour is an amazing show. Peter Gabriel is a man with mission and a very good pair of ears.
    I always admired his music and the special focus he placed on mixing and creating his sounds. It is a great honour for me to see him pick our piano!

Wow, so does that mean I can actually say I own the same piano as Peter Gabriel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Nope, you have a license to sound the same as Peter Gabriel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And, vice versa! He is probably also proud to sound the same as you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum