• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sonar vs. Cubase

Sonar vs. Cubase

As GPO users, do you prefer Sonar or Cubase?

West Seneca, NY

Re: Sonar vs. Cubase

I\'ve been using Cubasis that came with GPO and once I got used to it, I find it works well. However, with all that I\'ve been reading about Sonar, I am starting to lean in that direction. A lot of the demos by these fine musicians are produced on Sonar and seem to me at least have an edge.
    But, I feel it is more of personal preference and what works best for you that should dictate your ultimate decision.
    That\'s just my 3 gold pieces worth. arrr matey!

I have been using Sonar for the past few years and couldn\'t be more pleased. I started out with Logic (incredible product for so many) before apple bought emagic and went Mac only. Logic for me just didn\'t make sense (a very expensive mistake). It just didn\'t fit the way I thought. I think it is really important to purchase a product that will become an extension of you and be a tool not a hindrance.

That said, I feel it is a very personal decision you have to make. By the time you arrive at Cubase or Sonar, you are looking at some of the best products out there. If there are free trial offers from both companies, download them and try them out. I think you would then be able to make the best decision for your own needs and style.

After much deliberation following my Logic fiasco, I chose to go with Sonar and am now using Sonar 3 PE. There is so much in Sonar that I will probably never use, but I wanted the flagship product rather than a secondary version - I felt that it would serve me well and allow me to grow into it rather than out of it.

Good luck, It’s a tuff decision. Just do your homework and make your decision \'eyes wide open\'!

No contest: Sonar wins...

*ahem, actually, I guess it\'s a matter of taste. Cubase has some features that Sonar does not, and vice versa. They are, for the most part, minor. There are also subtle differences in layout, display, and terminology. But do as has been suggested, go get yourself some demos and try em out!

One thing I can say for sure, Sonar has much better effects [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (but I\'m a Sonar guy, so take that for what it\'s worth).

- Junk

after being on forums for about 5 years and reading a lot about cubase vs sonar, sonar vs logic, logic vs cubase etc etc...

generally all programs can play and record midi and audio.
    all programs have disadvantages and advantages.

so it\'s just a matter of: look at all sequencers, try out the working interface and check out what advantages you like most and then buy the program.

i guess nobody can say logic definitely rules or sonar or whatever.
    each program has bugs and each program has very cool features.

what makes the good music and sound is the guy sitting in front of the PC or MAC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

other musicians usually ask for the libs you used and not which sequencer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

... but i remember one mail i received after i posted \"Nuclear Dawn\" in another forum, where a guy asked me where to get this program where to do such music with and if it\'s shareware or downloadable for free somewhere [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I totally agree with Alex,

Everyone owes it to themselfes to try out all options. This has so much to do with if you like the \"thinking\" of the program, and how it fits your workflow. So try out both Sonar and Cubase or even one of the notation software, like Sibelius (might even suite you better. I think Sibelius would work with GPO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] )

You\'re probably going to spend much time in front of your DAW so get something that makes it as easy as possible for your workflow.
    Don\'t forget the purpose - make music [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

UK- teeming with life....

I prefer them both, although I\'m a Cubase user myself.

Cubase is German and Sonar is American....if that helps.

Hmmm, I\'m an American, but 100% German stock as far back as I know, so I\'m torn... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I\'ve been recording GPO with Cubasis and it works pretty well for me, though there are some inherent limitations and issues with it that have made it difficult to do a larger scale piece.

I resisted getting Sonar for a long time. Actually, I once bought an earlier version but returned it after a few days, as it seemed very convoluted and unstable on my system compared to the audio programs I was using. But the last couple years I\'ve gotten more into working with MIDI and VSTi and the like, and I recently tried out the demo for Sonar 3 and realized how much better I like it than the previous version I had, and how much better I should be able to work with GPO with that as compared to Cubasis.

So I\'m definitely planning on getting Sonar 3 in the near future as soon as I\'ve got the extra cash and they offer another deal to upgrade to it, which they seem to do every month or two in their e-mail newsletters. They\'re asking $199 right now for previous Cakewalk customers but I\'m holding out until it\'s $150 or so, which should come around soon.

But Cubasis doesn\'t really compare to Cubase, at least as I understand it. Cubase apparently has quite a lot more to it... so I can\'t necessarily draw a comparison between them.

I used Sonar for quite some time and loved it. Can\'t say a bad word about it.

BUT, then I tried Nuendo -- which is basically a souped-up Cubase -- and have never turned back. In my opinion, Nuendo is SO much better than Sonar. I like the layout, the features, the ease of use and the vst effects much, much better.

In the end, however, it\'s all a matter of taste.

[ QUOTE ]
    In the end, however, it\'s all a matter of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I\'d say in the end it\'s a matter of what you can afford. Nuendo is how much? Over $1,000, right? Sonar is $479 ($199 or less for previous Cakewalk customers).

Go Back to forum