• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cymbal Swell and Timpani Crescendo

Share/Bookmark

Cymbal Swell and Timpani Crescendo

Im having trouble making a cymbal swell sound good. i know there is one patch that does this but it takes forever to swell. how can i construct my own? also the same with a timpani swell or crescendo. thanks
    Mitch

Re: Cymbal Swell and Timpani Crescendo

[ QUOTE ]
    Im having trouble making a cymbal swell sound good. i know there is one patch that does this but it takes forever to swell. how can i construct my own? also the same with a timpani swell or crescendo. thanks
    Mitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Silver only has 3 swell sounds as well. Id download G-Town\'s Church Cymbals, you might find one in there more to your liking. They are free. http://gtown.has.it/ - the serve is occasionally down, so just check back every so often if it is.

Ed

Hi,
    Think in terms of velocity when programming any percussion instrument. I have found no matter what the controller I have had to edit the velocity in order to get a more effective \"swell\" (crescendo or decrescendo). Remember, percussion is all about velocity to achive dynamic changes and ranges. Volume can be edited as well but be careful not to overshoot the dynamic level and thus cloud up other instruments.
    If I am not mistaken, I think the mod wheel works as well on some of the percussion instruments.
    Hope this helps some.

I was never really one for packaged percussion samples until GPO arrived.

Think Gtown have moved to :

Here

[ QUOTE ]
    Mitch

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m confused. Are you talking about GPO? If this is the case, did you try to ride the Mod Wheel for the Cymbal swell? For the Timpani cresc. you only need to play it. Im I missing something?

Anton

[ QUOTE ]
    Mitch

[/ QUOTE ] There\'s a cymbal swell there that\'s controlled by MOD1, but I\'ve used the organic swell by triggering \"too early\" and then controlling the volume to come up and peak at the right time. So, there\'s more than one way to slay that dragon. I supposed that it\'s possible to do a roll with cymbals the same way you do with tympani, but that might require a cymbal played with soft mallets, which I\'ve not heard in GPO yet. In any case, there\'s more than one option.

thanks guys. i didnt know about the mod wheel. i thought it just controlled volume.
    Mitch

Go Back to forum