• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Instrument Price Increases

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Instrument Price Increases

From the 16th, all dealers (including stores and online stores) will increase the price of all EW Virtual Instruments by 10%. So you have between now and Saturday at midnight (PST) to get these at 20% off (excluding EWQLSO Platinum which is 10% off).

For a complete list of these products go to - www.soundsonline.com and select VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS from the pop-down format menu on the home page.

The price is good for in stock items only - so hurry!!

Re: Virtual Instrument Price Increases

Why the increase, Doug? Gas prices? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Virtual Instrument Price Increases *DELETED*

Post deleted by cascade

andyt

Not that I\'m considering buying any of your products at the moment but I think your statement needs a bit of clarification ...

.. most products are currently enjoying a 20% discount off the normal price
    .. the increase of 10% ... will this take the products back to the normal price, or 10% above the normal price.

Can\'t understand why you\'re doing this. I\'m sure there is sound business logic behind it. Either your P&L must be in a bad way if you are having to increase your prices .... or so good that you think the market will be insensitive to this increase. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that to pay for re-printing the boxes to say:
    Warning, doesn\'t work on dual processor Macs?

[/ QUOTE ]

it\'s talk like this that has frightened me off buying any of the EW/NI stuff..

i\'ll wait till the talk is a bit more on the positive side.. whether there\'s a price increase or not [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Not that I\'m considering buying any of your products at the moment but I think your statement needs a bit of clarification ...

.. most products are currently enjoying a 20% discount off the normal price
    .. the increase of 10% ... will this take the products back to the normal price, or 10% above the normal price.

Can\'t understand why you\'re doing this. I\'m sure there is sound business logic behind it. Either your P&L must be in a bad way if you are having to increase your prices .... or so good that you think the market will be insensitive to this increase. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

To clarify, the list prices are not increasing, only the MAP (minimum advertised price) that all dealers have to adhere to, so effectively it will be an increase as most dealers discount the products. There will be a 10% increase from Sunday.

Cascade,

The dual processor issue has been fixed already in Kontakt 1.5.2 which many MAC customers use, and next week we will release updates for the 40 Kompakt players as well.

Fitch,

What software do you use that doesn\'t have some problem? Software developers are constantly battling with a changing landscape. OS modifications and standards (or lack of them in the case of Apple), third party updates (which impact any software that uses it as a host) etc. etc. I bet in 10 years we\'ll still be talking about problems with software you are using. However, the great majority of our users are pumping out a lot of really cool music using these VIs today - just take a listen to the demos online.

Ned,

Yes, our gas prices have doubled in the last year!!

Seriously, we do whatever we can to hold back price increases, and this is more of a \'street\' price increase that was requested from EW dealers and distributors.

- Doug

[ QUOTE ]
    the MAP (minimum advertised price) that all dealers have to adhere to,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Doug, there is no law that requires dealers to adhere to the MAP, this is simply arrogant manufacturers and distributors bullying dealers to keep the deep discounters from taking the sales away from you larger houses- if you won\'t play my way, I\'ll take my ball and go home.

Apple has used this technique for years, and it works-for them, the biggest discount on Apple products is less than $5-some places sell 2G G5s for $2999.95, others for $2995.00.

But as a consumer, I consider it a pure rip-off, and am insulted by the industry market manipulation and price-gouging. If a reseller is willing to sell for 10% over cost, and you\'re not, why should he and I be penalized? The concept of MAP is a conspiracy on the part of the large manufacturers, distributors and resellers to keep their profits up, and could actually hurt overall sales of a product - if I ever had to pay suggested retail for a Shure mike, for example, I would buy EV or Rode. The same with these VSTi\'s, and other such attempts at forcing creators to play by bean-counter rules.

MAP means I wind up having to spend four or five times as much time, because I will NEVER simply say - oh, I\'ll just buy here - the price is the same. I simply do not have the luxury of throwing money at something, I have to find the lowest price - if I save $10 on a $500 item, my wife is happy, If I can save $150, she\'s much happier. I feel better and have more money to put toward the next purchase. But if I have to spend eight hours on the phone to save that $10, you\'ve cost me valuable creative time - and I do not forgive you for that. Time is all we have, that and quality of life, this practice steals both from us.

Regardless of what you say, or do, or advertise, there will always be dealers who will lower their margin to make the sale, so it doesn\'t garner more sales for you-it means less. I have eight computers in my studio - and because I have used Digital Performer for years and don\'t like the PC sequencers I have tested, one of them is an Apple. But because of Apple\'s overprotective policies, the rest of my machines are PCs - I can get two or three fast PCs for the price of one G5, and configure with a much larger variety of peripherals, programs, etc.

If control over the product is so tight nobody dares to discount, I just pass on it. There will be another equivalent in a month or two, and if not, I\'ll hire the players live. But Gigastudio, even in 16-bit format, offers me the control I need, and the flexibility to build MY orchestra from individual elements, with no wasted space on mujltiple instances - 64 instruments is enough for most projects; I would have to run 8 instances of Kontact-player based samplers for the same total output, and then I would be restricted to only those pre-programmed sounds with whatever tweaking is allowed, no serious editing and no miing and matching-if i want eight sounds from eight separate libraries, I have to run eight instances, in Giga it\'s just a matter of loading the 8 .GIG files.

So raise your prices as high as you wish - I just spend less, and use the savings to hire real musicians, or buy from the deep discounters who don\'t play by the bullies\' rules.

And while I personally will not do this, I know that price increases mean an increase in piracy...

Oh, well. I have always had good service from Sounds OnLine, and will probably continue to purchase from you. But if I find a better price, you better believe I\'ll take it. And MAP be damned...

Dasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, well. I have always had good service from Sounds OnLine, and will probably continue to purchase from you. But if I find a better price, you better believe I\'ll take it. And MAP be damned...

Dasher

[/ QUOTE ]

Dasher,

MAP pricing is for advertising purposes only, any dealer can sell the product for less, so if you have a good relationship with a dealer you will certainly get a better deal than MAP. However, it is important to have some discipline in the marketplace. Some dealers do a great job and spend money on displays, demo stations etc. Some do very little but like to undercut these dealers with their advertised prices (particularly on the net, because they have lower overheads) so it\'s important for us to look after the good dealers and make sure they can make a decent margin otherwise there is no interest for them to stock the products which ultimately reduces the purchasing choices for customers.

I hope that explains it better, we certainly appreciate your business with Sounds Online.

- Doug

What\'s up with the rapper look, Ned, you gangstta ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brilliant strategy...gas prices are through the roof, inflation is jacking up prices on food and all other items, people have less and less money to spend as a result. Great time to increase sample prices to put these libraries even further out of our grasp.

The pros bought this stuff already. The only ones you\'re squeezing for $$$ now are the more casual composers who are *not* making the big bucks to justify that kind of expense, especially in our current economy. Jeesh...I hope you have good balance seeing as how you just shot yourself in the foot.
    -Hudson

Go Back to forum