• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Library for just 1 DAW

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Library for just 1 DAW

Howdy all!

I have been saving up for a dedicated DAW and have discovered that EWQL Platinum and VSL Pro edition both require multiple computers to really be effective. I\'m trying to find out if I can put together a good sample collection that a single DAW can handle (via Gigastudio and/or Cubase). Note: I already have GPO, so that\'s already taken care of.

I\'d like to know what you guys think about the following options I\'m considering:

1) VSL Opus 1. From a big-picture standpoint, what exactly would I be missing if this were all I had to work with?

2) EWQL Gold. Same question as #1...what\'s missing?

3) My \"mutt\" mix: SAM Horns (all of them), Garritan Strings, and Kirk Hunter Woodwinds (if they ever get completed). Percussion unknown.

All inputs are appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Wes

Re: Orchestral Library for just 1 DAW

[ QUOTE ]

2) EWQL Gold. Same question as #1...what\'s missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of specs do you have on your computer? Big difference between what one computer with 512 Ram can do and a Pentium IV with 2.5 gig RAM.

I had one PC (Pentium IV-2 ghz, 1 gig RAM, 2 separate harddrives, WInXP) with EWQL Gold and had a hard time getting anything usable out of that configuration. I know some people have been able to get better results than I, but I think for what you are about to spend on libraries, you need more than one computer. I just added a second high end PC (Pentium IV - 3.4 ghz, 2 gig ram, Raptor harddrive), and once I get it all set up, I\'ll let you know how much better two PCs are than one.

- K

I run VSL on the one machine just fine. I guess it depends how much time you have reallly, but with a couple gigs of ram in and a decent P4/Athlon you\'ll have enough polys for a good bunch of instruments at a time.

On your options though;

1. Has only the very basic articulations and basic legato/portamento performances, the samples are not looped & they are not chromatically sampled. Nontheless you can make some fine results with it from what i\'ve heard. IMHO it probably would have suited me better than the whole VSL that i own currently, but it wasn\'t around at the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2. Not sure what it is missing, but i don\'t think you would go wrong with that and a full upgrade to Kontakt as you have to remember that each instance of the plugin takes a few percent of cpu, & i think you\'re limited to 8 instruments with the given player per instance (Giga effectively gives you four \'instances\' without any cpu drain).

3. Also a good idea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] For percussion i might suggest VSLs percussion just on its own as it has all the toys you could possibly ever want and the performance set aspect isn\'t really necessary to make the most of it.

I am running the VSL Pro Edition Orchestral Cube on one DAW. I have three HDD, one samples, one AV, and one system drive on an Athlon XP 2800 with 1.5 GB memory.

I am running Cubase SX and Giga together without any problems. I am able to load fairly large ensembles on the one machine and can even load instances of Atmosphere, Stylus, Absynth and other VST\'s.

That VSL package may be out of your price range but it is possible to run on one PC.

I haven\'t purchased the DAW as yet...I\'m still in the planning stages. I also want to wait because I know that once I have the DAW, I\'ll be very anxious to get the sample library. I don\'t want to blow my entire budget and then discover I bought the wrong library.

I\'m thinking of buying a Carrilon or Truespec DAW, btw.

Wes

You can do a lot with any of the VSLs (if you don\'t use more than a couple of Performance instruments) or EWQLSO Gold on one machine, but two would be better. Four would be better still.

Nick,

Dumb question, but what\'s the difference between a \"performance instrument\" and the rest of VSL? Why do the performance elements tax the computer so much?

Thanks,
    Wes

[ QUOTE ]
    2. Not sure what it is missing, but i don\'t think you would go wrong with that and a full upgrade to Kontakt as you have to remember that each instance of the plugin takes a few percent of cpu, & i think you\'re limited to 8 instruments with the given player (Giga effectively gives you four without any cpu drain).

[/ QUOTE ]

You\'re not limited to 8 instruments with the player, when you use them up you simply open another \'instance\' (another copy of the interface). You will run out of CPU power and memory before you run out of \'instances\'.

- Doug

I think you need to read the \'each instance\' part ;p I should have mentioned the 16 instruments with kontakt but nm.

Actually i just tweaked it bit so it makes more sense!

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m thinking of buying a BRAND X or Truespec DAW, btw.

Wes

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, Lad! Keep up that thinking!

But seriously folks...As much as I\'d like to do a quote, I would encourage you to wait a little closer to GS3 shipping so we really know what the specs are going to be and what the connectivity and studio integration issues are going to be.

In considering Gold vs OPUS 1, you must take into account operational differences. Gold operates under a VSTi approach, as does GPO, so acquiring Gold and Kontakt 1.5.2 would allow you to run both libraries on two systems.

OPUS 1 is a Giga format. On shipping, as reported by Tascam, GS3 will have Rewire built in, allowing it to run on the same system as Cubase and Sonar. No GSIF drivers are required in Rewire mode. Depending upon licensing, you could then run GS 3 on two systems: the sequencing system and the second computer.

So, in making this decision, you must decide for the second system:

1. Kontakt World?
    2. Giga World?
    3. Combo?

Other considerations:

If opt for Giga 2.54 for today, you can shortly get a Giga wrapper from FX Teleport that will save you serious FOUR FIGURES on the separate computer, since you only need a LAN cable and NOT an audio card or MIDI interface. If you go this direction, you won\'t be able to upgrade to GS3 until FX has a working GS3 wrapper.

If you opt for Kontakt, you\'re immediately into an FX Teleport situation. You can start with Gold, and later if you want it, you can get OPUS 1 and import it into Kontakt 1.5.2. Until GigaPulse ships, you can use a convolution reverb on a Kontakt box called Pristine Space from www.voxengo.com.

Each option has pros and cons.

Thanks for your consideration.

Peter

Go Back to forum