• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A waltz for Bert

Share/Bookmark

A waltz for Bert

Here is a little waltz that I want to share, but it is with mixed feelings. Twenty years ago, about this time of year, a dear friend went into the hospital for routine gallbladder surgery -- nothing to be too concerned about. The night before his surgery, I wrote him this little waltz in ABA song form. It was meant to be light and not too important from a musical point of view. In fact, I kind of threw in about every waltz cliché I could think of. It’s more or less in the style of a pop waltz that might have been written about a hundred years ago.

I took it to him the next afternoon. His wife said that it was the first time he smiled since his operation that morning. He said something about playing it would be the first thing he did when he got home. Later that night, he succumbed to a massive infection. The waltz has never been played until now.

Bert was a marvelous pianist and organist. In the 15 years I new him, I don’t think I ever heard him make a mistake. And as good of a musician as he was he was twice the friend to all who had the honor of knowing him.

So this is dedicated to Bert Nelson.

Waltz for Bert

Re: A waltz for Bert

That\'s quite nice, poignant, really. Interesting chord progression as well. Your description is spot on. On repeat hearings it reminds me of an old Charlie Chaplin silent movie. Thanks for sharing this and telling us the story behind it.

A very nice composition. Enjoying it already the second time. By the way..do you know the \"Millionaire\'s Waltz\" by Queen? Not that your tune resembles to it...I just had to think of it and thought that you would like it, too. It is not the same melody, but a similar shape/structure.

I registered to this site just so I could comment about this piece.

Simply Wonderful. Thank you for a truly heart warming piece of music.

Dennis

Call me old fashioned Karl, but I really enjoyed that. I also agree about the marvellous chord progression.

Nice

Frank

Thanks a bunch folks. I guess I\'m always looking for different chord progressions and such because I\'m a guitar player.

That reminds me that I said I would finish doing the Vivaldi Guitar Concerto in D, I posted the last two movements over a month ago, but I broke a nail and mother nature is taking her sweet old time growing a new one for me. The GPO parts are done however, so it should only be another week or so.

Thanks again,

Vivaldi

Oh hey, from the last post I just realized it\'s YOU playing the Vivaldi guitar demo. I absolutely LOVE it! I\'ve listened to that slow movement about 30 times now. In fact, it\'s the most played item in my media library. The rhythmic feel of the opener is just right too. I\'m looking forward to hearing the last movement. Have you considered press-on nails? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    The waltz has never been played until now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never had goosebumps from listening to a waltz.... now I did.....

I was just listening to your waltz again. I wonder how it would sound with a Tom\'s Easy Winners arrangement?

I was also contemplating again how far pianos have come on. People would have paid a lot of money for a piano like this years ago. They\'re still bringing out new pianos but I fear we are well into the land of diminishing returns. The piano really sounds so good in this piece.....Just rambling...

Frank

Re: Vivaldi

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh hey, from the last post I just realized it\'s YOU playing the Vivaldi guitar demo. I absolutely LOVE it! I\'ve listened to that slow movement about 30 times now. In fact, it\'s the most played item in my media library. The rhythmic feel of the opener is just right too. I\'m looking forward to hearing the last movement. Have you considered press-on nails? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I’m the guy. I’m glad you enjoy the Vivaldi so far. I have a family nursery business that keeps me pretty busy this time of year, so most of my music projects go on hold in the spring.

Don’t laugh about the press-on, paint-on, build-up-with-nylon-and-and-silicone-nails. We guitarist have resorted to all kinds of products, but nothing beats the real thing. I’ve been blessed with pretty good nails that rarely brake as long as I keep them trimmed properly. This is the first time it has happened in over 2 years.

[ QUOTE ]
    I was just listening to your waltz again. I wonder how it would sound with a Tom\'s Easy Winners arrangement?

I was also contemplating again how far pianos have come on. People would have paid a lot of money for a piano like this years ago. They\'re still bringing out new pianos but I fear we are well into the land of diminishing returns. The piano really sounds so good in this piece.....Just rambling...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about orchestrating it, but first thought it should be presented in its raw form the way it was created. But I like the idea of using Tom’s instrumentation. Might give it a try.

I really like the GPO piano. I feel it works well here. It\'s never in your face, but seems to work so well across so many different musical styles. I hid out in my studio yesterday, while others sold petunias outside. I didn’t play a note. Just typed it all in then adjusted the tempos, velocities, note lengths and such in Digital Performer. It took about three hours to do. It would have taken me three months to learn to play it on my piano.

Gary, if you read this thread, I’d be happy to post the DP file for this. And if you want you can add it to the DP page. There’s no mod wheel action, but it does show how you can adjust the velocity and tempo changes to make things somewhat convincing. Oh heck, I’ll just post it here later anyway. If you or anyone else wants it just take it.

Thanks all again

Go Back to forum