• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strings Attack!

Share/Bookmark

Strings Attack!

I read the \"fortissimo attack\" thread with much interest.

Even for softer attack, in a rythmic phrase, I usually \"slide\" strings some ticks backwards to align the strings and other instruments (e.g. piano). This is because, I think, the strings attack takes some time longer than other instruments.

With Violin I, I usually apply the following time slide:

In 100 bpm, 960 ticks per quarter note, with full velocity,

minus 100 ticks for Lush (ca. 63 msec)
    minus 50 ticks for Short Bow (ca. 31 msec)
    minus 100 ticks for SUS+Short (ca. 63 msec)

(1) Is this kind of technique common? Or, only me? Any other nicer way to align the attack of strings with other instruments?

(2) I wonder why SUS+Short seems to have longer attack time compared to Short Bow. Isn\'t SUS+Short is combination of attack of Short Bow plus sustain? Is this my misunderstanding, maybe?

Any suggestion or information will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: Strings Attack!

Hello Jun,

I have the very same problem and have not found a solution yet. I\'m curious to hear some ideas that didn\'t show up in the thread I posted. At least now I know it\'s not just me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chad

I use digital performer and what I have found is not only should the track be moved forward relative to the other instuments, but I always increase the length of each previous note so that it overlaps the next, this takes some time, but it\'s well worth it. How much you extend each note should solely be determined by your ears. I almost always end up moving an entire string midi track forward. Just playing notes, or using notation without sequencing to correct these issues is probably why some of these demos sound the way they do, like midi.
    .02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This has been addressed in other threads and I hope that the update for GPO takes care of this. There is no doubt that there is a lack of fast attack articulations or that the samples need to be reworked with a different start time (impossible to do with the stock Kompact player). The sounds arent nearly as nice in my Roland XP-30 or EMU Virtuoso but I turn to them any time I want fast attacks and only use GPO strings for nice smooth and slow strings. It\'s a shame but I\'m sure that it will be taken care of in a future update. It\'s too obvious to be ignored I think. I have done the same thing you are talking about by recording the track and then sliding the whole thing forward but it can really throw you off when trying to record the track in the first place. It feels like there is a bad latency going on but it is due to the samples, not the computer or sound card\'s performance. That said, Gary wont disapoint us I\'m sure.

Eric

Eric,

You will be pleasantly surprised with the upcoming updates.
    Tom has done some amazing work to get those fast and aggresive attacks you seek.

Gary Garritan

[ QUOTE ]
    You will be pleasantly surpirsed with the upcoming updates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary,

Stop teasing us!

When??????????

LOL! Told ya.

Forgive me if I am out on this. I am trying to understand. I gather the problem is a \"fast attack\" for the strings during a fast pasage using GPO?
    On a phone conversation with musicaman. We were discussing why it is that a fast passage couldn\'t be accomplished. (This is the topic right?) During our phone conversation, musicman discovered if you up the sustain control to 127, a fast passage could be accomplished and attack being right on with other instruments. I haven\'t had time to try this. Musicman sounded quite surprize at the result especially using lush strings.
    I hope I didn\'t misunderstand this thread and if so, sorry.
    Of course, an update would be more advantageous.

Where is this Sustain control you speak of? I don\'t think that the stock player has it. My guess is that you have the full version of Kontakt. I hope I\'m wrong and that I have overlooked something. One of my requests for the update has been a release control on the samples.

Chad,

Me, too. It is good to find someone who feels the same way.

Thanks,

Go Back to forum