• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Ozone's harmonic exciter an OK replacement...

Share/Bookmark

Is Ozone\'s harmonic exciter an OK replacement...

...for EQ\'ing? I was playing around in Ozone, and I noticed if I just totally turned off all options except the harmonic exciter, and played with those settings, it brought out the treble nicely, as if it were being EQ\'d. I suppose that the harmonic exciter is basically just EQ\'ing for me, right? Any problems with this approach?

Thanks!

Re: Is Ozone\'s harmonic exciter an OK replacement...

Harmonic exciters are not EQ\'s , nor a substitute .... a simple web search will give you the history of harmonic exciters ....

Use with caution .... the added brighness you are hearing now may translate to ear shreading noise on another system.

Re: Is Ozone\'s harmonic exciter an OK replacement.

So if a recording is sounding a bit muddy/muffled, would you recommend just using EQ and not using the harmonic exciter? Or a combination of both?

As a general rule -- i always try to cut rather than add with EQ.

A small bell at 240-300hz (2db should be fine) can help with the mud .... reverb tail buildup is probably the culprit.

Ozone is a great tool!!!! Try some of the presets, and make adjustments from there ... just keep a fresh perspective by referencing material that you want your\'s to sound like.

Also -- www.elementalaudio.com --- get Inspector, its a decent RTA. It s good to visualize while EQing. Also try the demo of Firium, its EQ curve learning is great!!!! If you\'re a bit wearing of EQing and want a quick and dirty band-aid for your mixes, thiis is great! Worth every penny.

Just try a little exciter for added sparkle. Remember, less is more ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
    ...for EQ\'ing? I was playing around in Ozone, and I noticed if I just totally turned off all options except the harmonic exciter, and played with those settings, it brought out the treble nicely, as if it were being EQ\'d. I suppose that the harmonic exciter is basically just EQ\'ing for me, right? Any problems with this approach?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

iZotope puts out a really nice, detailed guide to using their plugs. It\'s highly recommended reading for anyone doing mixing and pre-mastering, but mandatory for those that are using that specific plugin.

That said, I hardly ever use the harmonic exciter in Ozone. The times that I do, it comes as compensation for over-ducking a harsh set of high harmonics that I EQ out of the original signal, and puts back a nice sheen that allows the top end to hold together well. Check on their multi-band portion as well - where you can do some good work on specific bands of frequencies. That can help control the harshness you can get from other exciters. Their guide describes a few specific applications in that vein.

Best,
    Houston

Just a reminder. Izotope\'s Mastering guide is a great read. Izotope Mastering Guide

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Use an exciter only sparingly. Ozone\'s is actually really good, because it\'s multiband. But you\'re adding distortion. Distortion is not bad--not at all. A really overblown brass instrument is a form of distortion, too, and that\'s all good. The trick is to never use so much that you hear it.

So, I wouldn\'t use an exciter in place of EQ. Use an exciter when you need some \"hair\" on the signal. If hair\'s not appropriate, don\'t use it.

ahhh...

anyone want to try and dig out the BBE Sonic Maximzer stories?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

If you can hear it, you used too much...

Thanks for the tips.

I tried Ozone\'s multi-band dynamics once, but it bit me big-time.. I had a piece where there was a very breathy sustained flute in the beginning, and the flute starts out muffled, and then at a certain point, gets really crisp. When I disabled the multi-band dynamics, this went away. I\'ve no idea why it did that.. I imagine the flute crossed over into the next freq. range mid-note or something. But I\'m so clueless with audio, I would have no idea why that was happening or how to correct it.

Damn.. I just need an Idiot\'s Guide to EQ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just play with sliders till it sounds OK, I don\'t really know what I\'m doing.

Go Back to forum