• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help with programing strings.

Share/Bookmark

Help with programing strings.

I\'ve been woiking on \"Suppertime\" from Little Shop of Horrors and need advice on how to extend a string section. The arpeggios start in the bass cleff on G3 and runs up to treble cleff G7 back down in continuos triplets. I wish I knew how to post a pic of the part so you could better understand what I am trying to explain here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
    When I use GPO violin obviously the upper range sounds. What can I do to extend the strings into the lower range with continuity? Right now I am using Home Studio 2004XL because I can mix audio and midi nicely. The GPO stings would be preferable to synth. Let me know if you have any idea\'s.
    Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Help with programing strings.

When I need an arpeggio such as what you are describing, I usually resort to the \"all strings\" patches in GOS/Lite. If I want more \"section refinement\" then I copy the \"all\" track to individual 1st Vln, 2nd Vln, Viola, Celli and Basses.

I had another thread here about \"all strings\" (gawd, I\'m glad I bought GOS/Lite first!) so i\'m not sure what sort of \"substitute\" instrument you could use for your full arpeggio so that it has the sort of attack that you want from your strings. You might try something bizarre like Organ Flutes (which go across the entire middle 5 octaves of the keyboard at least).

Good luck!

kev

Yeah, thanks Kevin there\'s an idea. GOS lite has that ability? Boy, I can\'t wait till I can use my copy. By that time the show will be over. Right now I am using a roland synth sound for the part. Not bad, but when I used the GPO strings, what could play blew the Roland sounds off the map!

You may attach a file to this post while editing.
    I wish I had a file just to get this guy off my back.

LATE WORD: Your situation/challenge got me to further thinking about it, and I decided to throw together an little experiment. It is HERE to be heard in either MP3 (at 192K) or WMA (56K for dial-up folks).

The test consists of 3 repetitions of the same notes - - first, as originally recorded using HALion and the GOS/Lite “all strings pizz”. Then I copied that line to the next 8-bar section and used the GPO Organ Flutes with it. Finally, I roughly divided the notes into the 5 string sections. OBSERVABLE DIFFERENCES: The main thing I hear differently from the GOS/Lite pizz strings and the five sections in GPO is that there is far greater stereo placement (far more realistic to my ears). I took all the panning defaults for the GPO strings.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] kev

Wow that\'s interesting! Pizz stings sound so real. Those are GOS lite? Can\'t wait to be able to learn more about all of this. I wonder how you would be able to take say the short bowed strings and expand on them somehow for a full arp?
    Thanks Kevin for the link.

Styxx - -

The \"all strings pizz\" is GOS/Lite (as there are no \"all strings\" in the current GPO, I frequently use the \"all strings ___\" as a crutch before isolating the various sections -- either in GOS/Lite or GPO). However, ALL of the sections in the 3rd area (the one where the \"stereo\" qualities are most realistic) are GPO \"___ pizz\" -- 1st Vln, 2nd Vln, Violas, Celli and Str Bass sections.

i hope this helps ... i am working on a more \"churning\" string at present and may have a chance to post that before i head off on a little holiday.

cheers ... kev [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If I understand what you\'re looking for using GPO, why not load for instance, the violin 1 sustain/short, viola sustain/short, cello sustain short & basses sustain/short. Then set all of the 4 samples to the same midi in channel. With this setup you can play up & down the entire range of the string section with no interruptions.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Duh! Why didn\'t I think of that!!

Just tried it out on my \"test bed\" project and about the only thing you lose is the interplay between the first and second violins from the stereo perspective (depending on how you played them when you had 5 sections).

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] kev

SO --------- surprise ......... GPO *does* (sort of) have an \"All strings\" solution!

Yeah! I\'ll have to try that tonight. The only question is will it work in CWHS 2004XL? Maybe I can somehow transfer the midi to Cubasis 4? I don\'t know, all the instruments were set to Roland for want of guitar sounds and electric piano along with others.
    I\'ll mess with it and see what happens. Not to sound stupid but, how do you set all 4 instruments to the same midi chanel? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Styxx - -

I did a quick trial on Cubase SX. Setting the instruments to which channel is done in the Kontakt player, so you pick your 4 or 5 strings and put them all on channel 1, then tell your sequencer that you want the instrument[s] on channel 1. Presto! (Or even vivace!)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] kev

Go Back to forum