• Register
  • Help

Topic: MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Heern)

Share/Bookmark

MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Heern)

Is it just me?...... but I find that a large proportion of MP3 files that I listen to have distortion. I don\'t know anything about the process of creating an MP3 but I find it very irritating. Also the levels of the MP3s vary considerably so that the level on the sound card has to be adjusted from MP3 to MP3....is there no standard so that this constant readjustment of input can be avoided.

If there isn\'t a standard could we create an agreed standard that works for this forum at least?

I hesitated to post on this subject before as I only had a \'lowly\' SBLive sound card and thought that it might have been due to this. However I have just installed a low end professional card (Waveterminal 192l...very pleased with it) and still have the same problem but now I\'m not embarrassed to post!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Do others have this problem and is there any way around it?

Thanks

Frank

Re: MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Hee

Hmm... I don\'t hear much distortion. You can have it from your computer output into your speakers very easily. My little mac speakers will distort if I have the volume above 80%.

Which ones do you hear distortion on? Let me know and I will see if I hear any on my sytem.

The Space Aria demo is mine and their is no distortion on that. I made sure, and it was mastered with Waves plug-ins.

Re: MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Heern)

Frank,

It might not help but I certainly experienced some distortion of MP3 files when using iTunes with EQ setting, in my case, \"POP\" eq. (iTunes ver. 4.2.0.72) So that it may depends on the MP3 player. I do not experience such distortion with Windows Media Player and SCMPX so far.

Sincerely,

Re: MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Heern)

Hi Frank,

You should not be hearing distortion in any mp3 unless you are overblowing your mixer output or something like that. MP3 artifacts have different nature, and can be heard in other ways, such as chirps in high frequency, or little inestability in sound level over time, or may be a poor stereo imaging.

Anyway, the differences in volume you describe are not related to the format itself, but with the production process. I mean, it completely depends on what the author does with the track. And this is not easely controllable, because everyone has its own favourite level adjustings.

Regards,

Anton

Re: MP3 distortion....what causes this? (Hardy Hee

Hi, Thank you very much indeed Paul, Jun and Anton for trying to help me.

I use Windows Media Player. A recent example of the problem I have was with the post \'New piece, GOS Lite vs. SISS Mini\' by DrGrace (Don).

Thanks for the Space Aria info Paul...that\'s just what I needed to know....a piece known to have no problems. Yep this is also one I hear distortion with even when adjusting the input level on the card down to levels which shouldn\'t cause any problems.

I\'m on Sennheisser Headphones at the moment and maybe they\'re tired....I think that that is where I\'ll look next.

That was really useful information guys. At least I know now that the problem lies with me and not with the variability of MP3s...I wondered why no one else was complaining! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again

Frank

Go Back to forum