• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Happy Dog - Music for a commercial

Share/Bookmark

Happy Dog - Music for a commercial

Okay, here\'s my second post of a piece I did using GPO. It\'s for a commercial called Happy Dog. The idea was for a piece in the style of all those great 1950\'s music library tunes featuring lots of string pizzicato. From this short piece I extracted 30 seconds to be used in the commercial.

Thanks for listening.

Steve Barden

HAPPY DOG

Re: Happy Dog - Music for a commercial

Very nice, and I think it would also work well as a Christmas piece, eh?

[ QUOTE ]
    it would also work well as a Christmas piece, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

After adding the sleigh bells I realized that there\'s no way on Earth to use sleigh bells in a piece of music without it sounding like Christmas music!

Steve

Nice writing. It would perfect for a \"Happy Christmas Dog\" song.

My percussionist ears were a little distracted by the irregularity in the snare drum hits. A percussionist would play a snare part like this with one hand, trying to make it sound as steady and even as possible. It sounds like you are alternating strokes, or there is a big variety in the velocity of the hits. Picky, I know, but it sounds akward to me.

I also think their is too much reverb, but I posted a song a while ago and everybody said, \"USE MORE REVERB\" so that may be a personal taste of mine.

You have some great writing chops though! Good Work!

[ QUOTE ]
    A percussionist would play a snare part like this with one hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate the feedback. I agree with both your points. I\'ll try switching the snare to just one hand. The reverb issue has always been a problem area for me. Sort of a love-hate relationship.

Steve

[ QUOTE ]
    A percussionist would play a snare part like this with one hand, trying to make it sound as steady and even as possible. It sounds like you are alternating strokes, or there is a big variety in the velocity of the hits. Picky, I know, but it sounds akward to me.

I also think their is too much reverb, but I posted a song a while ago and everybody said, \"USE MORE REVERB\" so that may be a personal taste of mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have remixed the piece. I switched the snare pattern to a single hand stroke and reduced the reverb a bit.

Not being a percussionist I found this suggestion to be extremely helpful. As a digital orchestrator it\'s easy to write in a non-idiomatic way for the instruments. Not only writing what\'s physically possible but what would be considered \"proper\" for the instrument.

When composing/orchestrating for the upcoming GPO contest it will be useful to consider idiomatic writing because a real orchestra will have to play it!

Here is the link to the new version:
    Happy Dog - mix 2

Steve Barden

Very nice piece, and funny style [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it could benefit from some mastering work:
    - Gentle EQ curve, more bass, less mid, more high-end highs
    - Subtle (upward) multi-band compression
    - Limiting to raise the final level with some 2-2.5 dB

I have no idea if you have the tools for this, contact me by mail or PM if you want me to try this on your original Wav or Aiff file. I would be glad to try this out for you.

Cheers,

Hi Steve!

I listened to \"Happy Dog\" a couple of days ago and just had to come back and tell you how much I enjoyed it! I loved everything about it! Great fun piece!

William

Much better. I can hear more detail with less reverb and the percussion pattern is more steady and solid and does not distract from your nice arrangement.

If you ever went back in (really picky now) apply the same technique to your little triangle section that appears midway. Though here you might give it slight lilt by emphasing the notes on the beat, weaker for the eight notes off the beat. It will give it a bit of a groove. As it is now, it is pretty randon. I\'ll bet if you looked at the velocity of the hits the range would be very large.

(gosh I am being picky)

I really like this cue though. It has as a good vibe.

Navin, I only listened to mix 2 but I think you have really nailed the 50s-60\'s cinema adverts and I can imagine it would suit \'Happy Dog\' perfectly! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Quite a treat to hear this \'happy go lucky\' style again. If I didn\'t know I would have thought it was the real thing as opposed to GPO....that takes some doing! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Frank

Go Back to forum