• Register
  • Help

Topic: SATA Hard Drives and Asus motherboards

SATA Hard Drives and Asus motherboards

Hi everyone,
    I\'m putting together a dedicated Giga computer, to be all ready for the release of GS3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    For my 2nd drive/samples, I\'m considering the new 74 GB WD Raptor Sata hard drive. 10,000rpm and seek time as fast as 4.5 ms. Sounds perfect for Giga [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Any comments as to its suitability before I take the plunge?
    My other query is which Asus motherboard is most suited to Giga.
    P4P800 deluxe
    P4P800-E Deluxe
    P4P800 SE
    P4C800 Deluxe
    (I will be using a P4 3.2Ghz processor)

Re: SATA Hard Drives and Asus motherboards

Thanks for the info Lee [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I only use Giga for my piano libraries, and the 74GB Raptor should be plenty (75% = 55GB which equates to at least 10 piano libraries) And the extra speed of the drive will be more than welcome. (I could always get a 2nd Raptor down the track if needed)
    Anyway the setup I am about to order is...

Intel P4 3.2Ghz
    Asus P4C800-E deluxe
    Corsair Twin1024-3200 LLPro x2 (total 2GB)
    RME HDSP9632
    WD Raptor 10,000rpm 74GB(samples)
    WD 40GB 7200 8MB (operating system)
    Antec Sonata case with 380watt true power
    MX440 128MB AGP
    Liteon CDRW
    KVM 2 port switch
    Windows XP
    GS v3 and Scarbee keyboard NFX when released

Should be a \"kick []\" system [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] All I have to do is find the $$$\'s now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I have a very similar set up currently and at first the raptor drives were not too bad, now they tend to be on the noisy side of things and get annoying, the seagate drives are not quite as fast but very quiet on my other computer.

btw the sonata case is awesome really enjoy it.

mmmmm You have me thinking now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Is the noise still a problem even through the (presumably) quiet Sonata case? Would you consider the noise on the Raptors a major problem?

Just read this article on Raptor noise/heat

Got a P4P800 here. Using Seagate Barracudas 160GB in a raid 0 config for 320GB of sample storage (my OS is on a separate drive). I\'ve not had any problems with gigasampler throughput with 64 instruments. My 2GB of ram is usually the limitation when using large instruments. And it\'s nice and quiet. Hope this helps.

Go Back to forum