• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: GPO Contest: Your Work Performed by Real Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

GPO Contest: Your Work Performed by Real Orchestra

<font color=\"#CC9900\"> Announcing the 1st GPO Orchestration Competition! </font>

Enter your Garritan Personal Orchestra work in the GPO Orchestration Competition.

The Grand Prize Winner will have their work performed live by a Full Symphony Orchestra!
    The gala performance will be broadcast live worldwide on the internet!

Many runner-up prizes including a cl[nss][nss][nss] at the Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program, sampling software, audio software, notation software, VST plug-ins, MIDI keyboard, subscriptions and more!

Entries must be submitted by the 1st of December 2004. Winners will be announced at NAMM and the performance will take place just prior to Musikmesse.

Relevant details below. More complete details, submission requirements and restrictions at http://www.garritan.com/competition.html

<font color=\"brown\"> ELIGIBILITY </font>

• The entrant must be a registered owner of Garritan Personal Orchestra. Garritan Personal Orchestra Users are eligible (except officers and employees of Garritan Orchestral Libraries).
    • All entrants must be 18 years of age or older due to travel restrictions and requirements.
    • The competition is organized by harps.com Corp (makers of Garritan Personal Orchestra), Capellen Music Production and the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra.
    • The submitted work must be an original composition or an orchestration of a cl[nss][nss][nss]ical work in the public domain. The entrant must ensure that the work is free of any copyright infringement.
    • Compositions must use the Garritan Personal Orchestra exclusively. The entry can be done on Mac or PC and in any notation program or sequencer of the entrant\'s choosing.

<font color=\"brown\"> CRITERIA </font>

• The composition should be either:

(A) an original composition original composition demonstrating a high level of sophistication in composition and orchestration, OR
    (B) an orchestration of a cl[nss][nss][nss]ical work in the public domain demonstrating a high level of sophistication in orchestration and arranging. The entrant must ensure that the work is free of any copyright infringement.

• Works will be evaluated with a view towards composition, orchestration, color, balance, technique and other factors. Original compositions composed specifically for this competition will be given primary consideration.

<font color=\"brown\"> COMPETITION TIMETABLE </font>

• Entries must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, December 1st, 2004. Late entries will not be considered.
    • Between December 1, 2004 and January 22, 2005: Initial Panel and Judging Panel meet to select winning composition. Winners notified.
    • The winner will be announced on January 22nd, 2005, at the NAMM show in Anaheim, California.
    • The winner must provide parts by March 15, 2005.
    • The winning work will be performed by the Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra on March 31st, 2005 in Olomouc, Czech Republic and broadcast live on the internet. Rehearsals will take place March 29 &amp; 30, 2005. This is one week before the Frankfurt Musikmesse.

<font color=\"brown\"> INSTRUMENTATION AND DURATION OF WORK</font>

• The competition is for works that will have a duration of between two and eight minutes in duration.
    • There is no minimum instrumentation requirement for the work. The maximum number of orchestral instruments is 75 players comprising any combination of br[nss][nss][nss], woodwind, string, percussion and keyboard instruments.
    • Entrant must use GPO for all instruments in the rendering.

<font color=\"brown\">PRIZES </font>

• One composition will be designated as the \"Grand Prize Winner \" unless ruled otherwise by the Judging Panel.
    • Runners-up prizes will also be awarded. First runner-up will win tuition for a cl[nss][nss][nss] at the Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program. Prizes for other runners-up will include sampling software, audio software, notation software, VST plug-ins, MIDI keyboard, subscriptions and more! A list of allrunner-up prizes will be posted when available.
    • The winning composer will also receive one round trip airline ticket to the Czech Republic and up to four nights accommodation in a hotel.

<font color=\"brown\"> JUDGING </font>

• Submitted works will be reviewed by a select panel of judges, including the Conductor, the Director of the Moravian Philharmonic, an Emmy winning film composer, an award-winning game composer, a music professor, and other top music industry professionals. The panel of judges may vary to meet the number of entrants.
    • Works will be judged with a view towards composition, orchestration, color, balance, technique. Original compositions composed specifically for this competition will be given primary consideration.
    • The judges reserve the right to to grant more than one grand prize award.

<font color=\"brown\"> RESTRICTIONS </font>

• Void where prohibited by law. • Organizers reserve the right to make changes if circumstances so dictate. We reserve the right to change the date, change the orchestra, or to withdraw any part or all of the prize or competition at any time. Any changes will be updated on the website. See website for additional restrictions.

Good Luck to everyone!!

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO Contest: Your Work Performed by real Orche

Gary,

This is truly amazing! When you first announced GPO you stated that it was just the beginning. And boy, did you mean it. You\'ve made GPO a great community to be involved with. And competitions like this are going to push all to grow and do our best. And did I read the heading correctly? \"First Annual GPO Orchestration Competition\" Life is good.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Do any other sample library creators do such things for their user community? Somehow I think not! Just another reason why Garritan is the best!

I know I\'ll be entering!

Re: GPO Contest: Your Work Performed by real Orchestra

This is great! I\'ll be sure to enter. Good luck to everyone!

Like I said in another thread, I\'ll be entering just so everyone can have a good laugh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I can see it now...The First Annual GPO Award Shoe - er...oops [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I ment, \"Award Show\". Yuk, Yuk.
    Hey... Ya never know!
    All I have to say is I am glad I have (we have) till next December to write something worth submitting.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hey ____________! What are you going to do after you win the GPO Orchestration Contest? &lt; You can fill in the blank.
    I\'m going to Disney World! Or, is that Wally World? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wait a minute! You mean I have to really learn how to use this program? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Gary,

Thanks for finally putting this up, I was afraid I couldn\'t keep it a secret anymore!

Good luck to everyone that enters!

[ QUOTE ]

Entries must be submitted by 31, December 2004. Winners will be announced at NAMM and the performance will take place just prior to Musikmesse.

<font color=\"brown\"> COMPETITION TIMETABLE </font>

• Entries must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, December 1st, 2004. Late entries will not be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two deadlines. Which is the correct one?

This is just so amazing! This is sure to get the creative juices flowing for everyone! Just imagine all the wonderful music that is going to come from this?

Gary, you never cease to amaze us with your generosity!
    Thank you!

William

Go Back to forum