• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Could use a second opinion....

Share/Bookmark

Could use a second opinion....

I\'m trying to figure out whether or not to try and salvage this cue. I threw it together a while back and never really got it together. Well, I\'m just trying to get all my decent stuff together to go out to some people (and for my new site) and I\'m on the fence about whether to trash this particular one or not...

It\'s really sloppy (due to me not using tempo) but I could probably fix it up a bit, and fix the bad ending etc if it\'s worth it... I just need a second opinion...

Seriously though, If you guys think this is a piece of crap, just tell me. Honestly I have no problem with that. And I\'ll have no problem trashing this. Just need another perspective is all...

CLICK HERE.........

Thanks!

KID-

Re: Could use a second opinion....

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m trying to figure out whether or not to try and salvage this cue. I threw it together a while back and never really got it together. Well, I\'m just trying to get all my decent stuff together to go out to some people (and for my new site) and I\'m on the fence about whether to trash this particular one or not...

It\'s really sloppy (due to me not using tempo) but I could probably fix it up a bit, and fix the bad ending etc if it\'s worth it... I just need a second opinion...

Seriously though, If you guys think this is a piece of crap, just tell me. Honestly I have no problem with that. And I\'ll have no problem trashing this. Just need another perspective is all...

KID-

[/ QUOTE ]

I don\'t need to listen to it. The fact that you\'re on the fence about it tells me you should go back and re-do it so you\'re proud of it. One thing I learned from Hank Mancini is that when you send something out with your name on it, you live with the results. If you ain\'t sure, don\'t do it. That simple.

Hey Peter,

Fix your signature! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The links don\'t work and look a bit silly.

Regards,

Peter

Actually, it sounds better than many of the more \'polished\' cues that are submitted. It has a cinematic quality that would actually work behind picture. Personally, I prefer a more loose cue. Seems to me that you only need to clean up the ending and re-mix a little.

But for a completely contradictory viewpoint than the one I wrote above: I once had a teacher who preached the idea of fixing things you don\'t like in the next piece. He was all about being prolific. He\'d rather rather write 10 pieces and throw out 9 of them than constantly fiddle with one to perfection. Perfection never got anybody anywhere worth going in his view. I tend to agree with that now that I\'m older.

I agree with Craig. It is definitely worth pursuing unless you have lots of stuff already that is similar and that you like better. I like the cue.

-- Martin

Hey Kid,
    Agree with Martin. If you have a few of these move on. But personally I like it a lot. It\'s different. An interesting blend of disparate elements. Blends well tho. I say tweak it and maybe expand to a b section.

cb

How about a bunch of second opinions? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] It\'s impossible to tell if you \"need\" this piece without knowing the full content of the demo, but I like it as well, and think it would be worth polishing. To me, it has a nice, subtly implied Eastern European vibe, which is kind of a hot sound right now. Good Mission:Impossible stuff.

Thanks all!

Peter I tend to agree with that idea. But I think sometimes there are cases where you could use a little help from the outside world -- as this is such an isolated way of life. If I had a huge ego or was a \"great\" composer, then I would have already had my answer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think the cue is pretty average (not one of my better ones), but I honestly couldn\'t tell what side of the fence it
    feel on.

Thanks guys, your second and third, and fourth sets of ears really helped me gain perspective. Since this thing is most of the way there and I got a fairly decent reaction (\"yeah it\'s ok\") I\'ll spend a few hours and clean it up and finish the ending, and probably go into a B section for a sec. Had the overwhelming response been, \"hey this is pretty much crap KID\", I would have scraped it. Well, I just couldn\'t make up my mind. So Thanks guys!

But no I don\'t have a ton of stuff like this so I guess it might be in my best interest to just finish it off and be done with it....

*Some other composers (you guys) think this tune is \"ok\" so that means someone out there (director/producer) might like it more than I do. That\'s what I was trying to gage... so thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the nice words!

KID-

[ QUOTE ]
    But for a completely contradictory viewpoint than the one I wrote above: I once had a teacher who preached the idea of fixing things you don\'t like in the next piece. He was all about being prolific. He\'d rather rather write 10 pieces and throw out 9 of them than constantly fiddle with one to perfection. Perfection never got anybody anywhere worth going in his view. I tend to agree with that now that I\'m older.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. And with what you all have said about moving on. I get bored easily, so I\'m not one to fiddle endlessly. I like to stay in the excitement of what\'s new!!! I\'m more interested to find something new.... that\'s what I love about music, that moment when you are in the flow of a new piece where you can\'t really keep up with the next idea. That\'s what\'s cool in my book!

KID-

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, it sounds better than many of the more \'polished\' cues that are submitted. It has a cinematic quality that would actually work behind picture. Personally, I prefer a more loose cue. Seems to me that you only need to clean up the ending and re-mix a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that Ravel didn\'t follow this advice.

Go Back to forum