• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra Concert Edition

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Personal Orchestra Concert Edition

This has probably already been thought of by everyone excluding myself, but here I go anyway: There must be tons of original sample material from the GPO sessions - how about releasing a Concert Edition of GPO that is not optimised for composing, with everything in its full version, 24-bit samples, longer loops (or none) and sample switching (where applicable) instead of clever programming of the Kontakt engine?
    Not to diminish the quality of GPO, but it would be wonderful to have a large version with all the goodies, creme de la creme for final projects where superior quality is the only issue at hand. GPO would remain the perfect composing library and GPO Concert Edition would be the supreme playback library.

Just my 2 cents [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Wirebird

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra Concert Edition

Interesting idea. Right now, I\'d buy anything he releases. Sign me up, but I don\'t know if this would ever happen.

Good idea.

A GigaStudio 3 version utilizing all of the full samples perhaps? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

[ QUOTE ]

A GigaStudio 3 version utilizing all of the full samples perhaps? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please no, then a lot of people including myself would have to buy a PC to use it and that would simply not happen... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    (Not having anything against PC\'s, only the idea of having to buy another fully equipped computer just to be able to use one particular software that I otherwise don\'t need).

Cheers,
    Wirebird

[ QUOTE ]
    having to buy another fully equipped computer just to be able to use one particular software that I otherwise don\'t need

[/ QUOTE ]

Better get used to the idea, wirebird, the way libs are going these days the resources that should be used for sample cueing is used to run these unwieldy, clunky software instruments. Instead of one app plus 64 sets of samples, we\'ve got 1 app, half a dozen or more \'instantiations\' of proprietary players needed to play specific instruments...

Not a great day for users, but the developersw seem to love it!

Dasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Better get used to the idea, wirebird, the way libs are going these days the resources that should be used for sample cueing is used to run these unwieldy, clunky software instruments. Instead of one app plus 64 sets of samples, we\'ve got 1 app, half a dozen or more \'instantiations\' of proprietary players needed to play specific instruments...

Not a great day for users, but the developersw seem to love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I humbly disagree, in my opinion it\'s a great day for users. All my sample players (GPO, DFH Superior, Kontakt with rather big libraries like KHSS, The Grand, Groove Agent, SampleTank XL) run just fine on my system, a G4 Dual 1.4 equipped with UAD-1 and 828mkII. I often record and mix a lot of audio on top of this, so occasionally I work in a separate arrangement for orchestral parts. But that doesn\'t bother me at all - in the old days with only outboard equipment things were a lot more separated than that.

The advantage of a customized VSTi is that it can be... customized [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    As an example, DFH Superior and Groove Agent wouldn\'t have half of their features if Kontakt or Gigastudio would be the player. The players are tailored for their purpose rather than the samples and programs being adapted to (and limited by) the environment.
    Gigastudio feels totally off the chart for my needs... I expected GS3 to be VST-compatible, instead they chose rewire. Why? The computers of today are fast and getting faster ahead of our needs. In three years or so, my guess is Gigastudio will be a dinosaur if they don\'t adapt better to what everyone else is doing on the DAW/sequenser scene.
    But then again, if huge (monstrous) libraries and basic playback using dimensions and some basic sampler features is on the menu, Gigastudio is still the master chef.

It\'s in general a lot easier to sell a VSTi than a sample library, so the downside of all this is that some that should or could have been libraries are packaged as VSTi\'s for the purpose of marketing (and also better copy protection). In these cases I fully agree with your point. If the VSTi does not add special functionality, then it\'s pretty pointless. Unless of course from a copy protection perspective, but those - as we\'re all painfully reminded of every time we update our system - are not intended for our delight [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Wirebird

Go Back to forum