• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio matched to Video Demo - LEGALALITIES?

Audio matched to Video Demo - LEGALALITIES?

Is it legal to use a video file and strip all audio and add your own, for demonstration purposes.

I have just finished a game trailer that I am completely proud of! It showcases everything that I can do with Music and Sound Design. Now I want to show it to potential clients. I wrote up the following message that I would put with the video file.

***Special Note for the X Video file***

X Company owns ALL rights to the video!

This video has been made ONLY for viewing as a DEMONSTRATION. (*My Company*) have composed and created ALL the audio within the Video to showcase what can be achieved. And is in no way affiliated with X company.

By watching the video you agree that it is for listening purposes only.
    It may not be copied or redistributed in any form without prior permission.

Is that legal? It\'s not like I\'m misguiding anyone. I state that I don\'t own the video, and it\'s a DEMO ONLY.

I understand that I can show people this video footage in my studio no problems. But can I give it to potential clients on a CD along with my audio demo reel?

If you think it\'s not legal. How am I ever going to show clients that I can compose music and do sound design to cut sences if I dont create video footage myself?

Anyway, what do people think?

Hamburg, Germany

Re: Audio matched to Video Demo - LEGALALITIES?

I guess you could run into problems with this. Best way is to ask the creators of the video for permission - who knows, you might be lucky and get hired immediately [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Waynesim, someone actually aksed that here recently, perhaps do a search? I seem to remember an audio guy getting fired for something so be careful.

I have heard that some companies frown upon it, others dont mind. Trick is knowing who minds!

Or do what I am doing now, the music for a game dev companies own showreel! You could even offer the first one for free to give you experience and exposure, and perhaps request that the company thinks of you first if any work should arise from the demo reel.

Hey Wayne,
    check this recent thread....
    it starts getting juicy with opposing opinions on this matter about halfway down...

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB18&Number=15600 5&Forum=,,,All_Forums,,,&Words=&Searchpage=2&L imit=25&Main=155420&Search=true&where= &Name=2575&daterange=&newerval=&ne wertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post156005

in another recent thread this was also discussed and the majority consensus was that while it is great practice, it is not necessarily the best choice. Could find the thread. Check for \"video\" you might find it. In the last month

Christianb, thanks for the link. (can you edit your post the text formatting is killing me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].)

Quote from Houston Haynes \"The video and audio components that are not owned by myself are used without permission as part of film industry common practice under the fair use provision of the Amended Copyright Act of 1976 (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107)\"

I think that statement says it all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. And I think it\'s fair to say that I can class a video game trailer with only cinematics under the film amendment. EDIT: I just read Bruce\'s comments. ummm.... I\'ll have to research it more.

Well I just sent an email off to the game developer. I think it\'s the safest way. Although I will be really annoyed if they say NO WAY. I mean they have the right to... I guess... but still it\'s not like i\'m doing anything againist the company. Only time will tell i guess.

Part of me wishes that I didn\'t email them becasue i\'m giving them the chance to say no. But I do aviod the .0001 chance of a future court case... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Go Back to forum