• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: new kontakt player: is it the ram still necessary?

Share/Bookmark

new kontakt player: is it the ram still necessary?

hi
    I\'ll buy my new powerbook this week and it will come with 256MB of RAM.
    I\'m wondering if it\'s better to go and add 256MB or 512MB.
    I know that the second option it\'s better but it cost more and i would like to know if it worth it.
    I know that the new kontakt player is under test now and you can\'t tell me anything but if you can just give me an idea it should be great.
    thanks a lot
    Michael

Re: new kontakt player: is it the ram still necessary?

I am not a computer expert at all, but I think everyone will agree that any computer that you buy should have the most amount of RAM that you can afford.

crr,

Even **if** the new player will include DFD, you still need to pre-load a small part of that file to RAM before it will stream the rest from disk, so the upgrade, even if only another 256, would be well worth it there...

Also, I don\'t know which sequencer you\'re using, but think of that and XP (128MB of RAM just to load) and you\'re running out of room FAST!

Again, I\'m not saying the new player will, I\'m not saying the new player won\'t - I\'m saying, more RAM is always a good idea...

hi
    thanks for your replies.
    I was wondering if it\'s sufficient to upgrade to 512MB or if i can have \"far away\" better performances with 650.
    thanks
    Michael

The more the better!

The difference between 512 and 650 is a lot of instruments. It will save you lots of time - not having to bouce so many tracks.

Also, a single stick of 512mb of ram is only like 95 bucks. That\'s not too bad. Save up and get it, the more the better!!!

- Junk

Think this way. As stated above, XP needs around 128 MB to run. If you have 256 MB, then you have 50% for system, and 50% for samples. If you insert an additional 256 module, then 25% for system, 75% for samples. If you have 256+512=768 MB, then system will be around 17%.

What do you need the more, your system, or your samples?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

thanks
    it\'s as I thougth.
    Ok, let\'s go for 512MB more.
    thanks

Get as much RAM as possible especially if you plan to use the piano. Don\'t forget to factor in space for your sequencer program.

I\'ve been using GPO in Kontakt with DFD enabled. I\'m mixing various libraries in one instance of Kontakt without any performance problems. Noticed that the GPO instruments really don\'t save much RAM with DFD as they are pretty small to begin with. Only bigger instruments such as the 2nd Violins and the Piano will save.

BTW, you can tweak XP quite a bit to get better performance out of it. My new laptop had a lot of crud running in the background, but its a streamlined demon now. Get a program like System Mechanic and stop all startup processes you don\'t need and you can also use it to defrag and free up ram. You can also tweak the graphical settings of XP to free up a lot of ram. I can get 420 MB of usable ram out of my laptop with 512 installed. That\'s reducing XP\'s ram usage to 92 MB without a lot of clutter. I still won\'t be able to load the full Steinway, but its a vast improvement over the 200 MB\'s XP was using before.

That\'s true Mr. Burrell, but everyoneplease keep in mind, that some of those changes can effect other programs running on your computer. Having a PC that you can tune for nothing but audio is great, but not everyone can aford this. So be careful before doing any tweaking, and make sure to do a restore point in XP BEFORE any changes are made, just to be on the safe side.

Go Back to forum